Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith took home the Heisman Trophy on Tuesday night, becoming the first wide receiver to win the award since Desmond Howard did so in 1991.
And with the award for this season already announced, odds for the 2021 Heisman Trophy were already out and ready to roll.
Georgia went 4-0 with Daniels as the starting quarterback during the 2020 season. In those games, Georgia averaged 37 points per game and 486 yards of offense per game. Daniels threw 10 touchdowns to just 2 interceptions while completing 67 percent of his passes.
The player who benefitted the most with Daniels in the lineup was George Pickens. The sophomore wide receiver caught 23 passes for 373 yards and four touchdowns. Over a full season 12-game, those numbers would be 69 catches for 1,119 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Georgia has a host of promising young players such as Darnell Washington, Jermaine Burton, Kendall Milton and Arian Smith. Prior to the Peach Bowl Daniels spoke about Georgia’s young playmakers and the future of the offense.
“I think you have a really good class of young guys that aren’t just talented but are also guys that enjoy the game of football,” Daniels said. “They show up every day with a good attitude. They’re here to learn and get better. It’s something good to see, something I think you’ll get to see as they grow. You’ll see a lot of it next year.”
Daniels also stands to benefit from a more normal offseason. That includes more instruction from Todd Monken and less time learning the offense over Zoom.
Like Daniels, Monken was excited about the future of the Georgia offense going into the 2021 season. Especially with a player like Daniels at quarterback.
“As we’re able to move forward, a guy like JT, who is certainly capable of distributing the ball, understanding where we want to go with the football,” Monken told reporters last week. “It’s an exciting time, especially for me. Hopefully we’ll have a chance to have a legit off-season, be able to study what we did, what the difference is that we want to change as we move forward.”
Georgia will have to replace its starting center, as Trey Hill declared for the 2021 NFL Draft. Georgia did learn that running back James Cook will also return next season. The Bulldogs are still waiting on decisions from running back Zamir White and offensive lineman Jamaree Salyer on the offensive side of the ball.
Related: With JT Daniels, James Cook and Devonte Wyatt all returning, social media excited for Georgia football 2021 season
Georgia and Daniels will open the season against another Heisman Trophy contender in DJ Uiagalelei and Clemson. Uiagalelei started twice for Clemson this past season and will be replacing Trevor Lawrence.
The game between the Tigers and Bulldogs is set for Sept. 4 in Charlotte. The game will have serious ramifications on the College Football Playoff, as well as the Heisman Trophy race.
2021 Heisman Trophy odds
- Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma QB +450
- Sam Howell, North Carolina QB +550
- DJ Uiagalelei, Clemson QB +600
- Kedon Slovis, USC QB +700
- J.T. Daniels, Georgia QB +800
- D’Eriq King, Miami QB +1000
- Jayden Daniels, Arizona State QB +1100
- Emory Jones, Florida QB +1200
- Bryce Young, Alabama QB +1200
- Bijan Robinson, Texas RB +1200
- Tyler Shough, Oregon QB +1400
- Kyren Williams, Notre Dame RB +1400
- Graham Mertz, Wisconsin QB +1500
- Brian Robinson, Alabama RB +1500
- Michael Penix Jr., Indiana QB +1600
- Brock Purdy, Iowa State RB +1700
- Deuce Vaughn, Kansas State RB +1800
- Breece Hall, Iowa State RB +1850
- Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M RB +1900
- Matt Corral, Ole Miss QB +2000
- Kevin Harris, South Carolina RB +2000
- Dillion Gabriel, UCF QB +2100
- Carson Strong, Nevada QB +2200
- Jordan Addison, Pittsburgh WR +2300
- John Metchie III, Alabama WR +2400
- Zay Flowers, Boston College WR +2500
- Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina QB +2500
JT Daniels should give Georgia football its best passing offense under Kirby Smart
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation