Smith got to display that speed at the Under Armour All-American practice on Monday, as he ended up winning the Fastest Man Challenge. He beat out Notre Dame running back signee Chris Tyree in the finals after dusting a number of competitors to get there.
You can watch the video of the race below. And make sure you stay till the end, when 5-star tight end target Darnell Washington, who is set to announce his college choice on Thursday, celebrates with the Florida speedster.
Arian Smith wins fastest man challenge
Smith hails from Lakeland, Fla., and rates as the No. 72 prospect in the country according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. Smith is one of four wide receiver signees in the 2020 Georgia recruiting class. He is joined by Marcus Rosemy, Jermaine Burton and Justin Robinson. Rosemy is also in Orlando this week.
In addition to playing football at Georgia, Smith will also run track. He’s been clocked at a 10.31 in the 100-meter dash and ran as a member of the USA relay team with Boling at the U-20 Pan-Am games last summer.
Smith publicly announced his commitment to Georgia on Dec. 18 and signed with the program the same day. But earlier this week, he told DawgNation that his decision to pick Georgia was made much earlier than that.
“After the SEC championship. Receivers were dropping like that,” Smith said. “I was like ‘dang, they really needed receivers.’ It just felt like that moment in time it was the perfect moment of time, and it was. I committed then.”
Smith called Georgia coach Kirby Smart the next morning and delivered him the good news over the phone.
Smith, to go along with seven other Georgia commits and signees, will participate in the Under Armour All-American Game on Jan. 2 in Orlando. Georgia also has three recruiting targets announcing that day, including Washington and the No. 1 ranked running back in the country in Zach Evans.
More Georgia football stories from DawgNation
- Even before hiring Matt Luke, Chad Lindberg knew he was ‘the guy’ for Georgia football
- Sedrick Van Pran-Granger: All-American OL still feels ‘comfortable’ as a Georgia commit
- Incoming freshman Jalen Carter feels he can play a Tyler Clark-type role as a freshman
- What we learned about Georgia football recruits, targets at Under Armour All-American game media day
- Dontae Manning contrasts Georgia football and Oregon ahead of announcement
- Darnell Washington: The family side of his early signing period decision
- All-American week snapshot: Which UGA signees and targets play where
- Jordan Burch: Why Georgia didn’t even crack his final 3
- 5-star RB Zach Evans shares ‘strongest connection’ and scope of decision prior to Jan. 2 announcement
- Even Mekhail Sherman was surprised when Kirby Smart, Georgia football flipped Jermaine Burton
- Broderick Jones: The 5-star OT details why he is still committed to Georgia