WATCH: Highlights from Brock Vandagriff-Gunner Stockton 5-star quarterback duel
The two combined for 8 touchdowns in a nationally televised contest. Stockton ran for 173 yards while throwing for 173 yards and had five touchdowns. Vandagriff threw for 198 yards and three scores while helping his team overcome a 31-7 second-half deficit to tie the game.
But Stockton made the final big play, with as he tossed a 32-yard touchdown pass, his second of the game, to give his Rabun County team a 38-31 lead. Vandagriff couldn’t respond, as he threw his third interception of the night on the ensuing possession.
You can see all the highlights in the video above or below.
This could be the first of many matchups between the two quarterbacks, as Vandagriff is a Georgia commit, while Stockton is a 2022 South Carolina commit. Both are 5-star quarterbacks, with Vandagriff being the No. 13 ranked player in the 2021 rankings and Stockton coming as the No. 24 player in the 2022 rankings.
Greg Vandagriff, who is the offensive coordinator for Brock’s Prince Avenue Chrisitan team, had some high praise for Stockton after the winning effort.
“He’s a good player. Very good,” Greg Vandagriff said. “Strong kid. Reminds me a lot of Justin Fields at Harrison when he just moved the pile and lowered his shoulder.”
Brock Vandagriff is Georgia’s first 5-star commitment since the Bulldogs and Kirby Smart landed Fields back in the 2018 cycle. Stockton also shared his thoughts on Vandagriff and complimented how well the future Georgia Bulldog led his team.
“He’s a competitor. To me that’s the ultimate goal you can have,” Stockton said. “But he plays hard. It was pretty cool playing against and he played good.”
Vandagriff is the top-ranked commitment in Georgia’s 2021 recruiting class at the moment and his played a key role in helping build Georgia’s class through the NCAA dead period. If the Bulldogs land some of their top targets such as 5-star Korey Foreman and 5-star offensive tackle Amarius Mims, Vandagriff will be a big reason why.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia jumped by Oklahoma in Week 1 Coaches, AP Polls
- Aaron Murray: Freshman Carson Beck ‘looked the best of all the quarterbacks’
- NFL opens 2020 with 51 former Georgia football players on rosters
- WATCH: UGA could be on the verge of historic defense in 2020
- Jeremy Pruitt says Tennessee transfer plea ‘not just about Cade (Mays)’
- James Cook excited to play in new Todd Monken offense after impressive offseason
- Ben Cleveland: Georgia football quarterback competition ‘creates a good vibe on the team’
- Maason Smith: Comparing his recent visits to check out Georgia and LSU
- Georgia football podcast: UGA’s running backs have great potential, but they need help