The Georgia football team has wrapped up a great regular season and now enters the SEC Championship Game on Saturday against Auburn. What is the recent history of rematches? When was the last time the SEC East won the title game and how bad have the results been since then?
Oh, and just for giggles, what if you compared the resumes of Georgia and Alabama?
These and many other stats and numbers, including updated national stat rankings and record watches, are here in this week’s edition of By the Numbers:
- 10: Georgia victories by 14 points or more this season.
- 1: Georgia victories by 14 points or more last season.
- 10: Seasons in Georgia football history when it won at least 11 games. This is the fifth time it has happened since 2002.
- 3: Seasons that Georgia has won 12 games or more: 1980, 2002 and 2012.
- 35: Most points Georgia scored in a game last season.
- 7: Georgia has exceeded 35 points seven times this season.
- 2010: The last year the SEC Championship Game was a rematch from the regular season. The results: Auburn beat then-No. 12 South Carolina on Sept. 25 of that year 35-27, and then beat then-No. 18 South Carolina in the Georgia Dome, 56-17.
- 2008: The last year an East team won the SEC championship. (Florida beat Alabama, 38-20).
- 24: The average margin of victory for the West team over the East team in every SEC Championship Game since. The closest game was in 2012, a 4-point game. Opponent and circumstances of that game probably do not need to be pointed out to readers of this page.
- 5,259: Herschel Walker’s career rushing yardage, first in Georgia and SEC history.
- 4,522: Nick Chubb’s career rushing yardage with two — maybe three — games left. Chubb is second in Georgia history, and fourth in SEC history: Third is LSU’s Kevin Faulk (4,557) and second is Arkansas’ Darren McFadden (4,590).
- 3,314: Sony Michel’s career rushing yardage, third in Georgia history. Michel passed Todd Gurley (3,285) and Garrison Hearst (3,232) on Saturday.
- 54: Rodrigo Blankenship touchbacks this season, a school record. Blankenship set the school record on the controversial opening kickoff.
- 50: Dominick Sanders career starts, the most ever by a defensive player in Georgia history, and a tie for fourth-most in school history overall.
More from Georgia Tech
- 319.3: Georgia Tech’s average rushing yardage coming into Saturday’s game.
- 188: Georgia Tech’s rushing yardage on Saturday.
- 0: Georgia Tech points in the first and third quarters.
- 45 for 46: Georgia in the red zone this season.
- 9: Tackles by Roquan Smith, 8 of them solo, and 3 of them for a loss.
- 6: Tackles by Georgia reserve outside linebacker D’Andre Walker, all solo tackles, and 2 of them for a loss.
- 2: Tackles by Tae Crowder, the converted tailback who got a lot of snaps at inside linebacker during the game, his most extensive playing time.
- 2: Tackles by Michael Barnett, who saw a lot of snaps at defensive tackle.
Updated Georgia national rankings
- 36: Total offense (434.7 yards per game)
- 9: Rushing offense (265.7 ypg)
- 110: Passing offense (169.0 ypg)
- 9: Passing efficiency rating (159.03)
- 23: Scoring offense (35.5 points per game)
- 4: Total defense (271.9 ypg)
- 12: Rushing defense (112.5 ypg)
- 3: Passing defense (159.4 ypg)
- 10: Pass efficiency defense (108.99)
- 5: Scoring defense (13.8 ppg)
Updated Auburn national rankings
- 18: Total offense (470.3 ypg)
- 20: Rushing offense (237.7 ypg)
- 64: Passing offense (232.6 ypg)
- 7: Pass efficiency (162.91)
- 19: Scoring offense (36.7 ppg)
- 11: Total defense (303.3 ypg)
- 21: Rushing defense (125.9 ypg)
- 14: Passing defense (177.3)
- 12: Pass efficiency defense (109.53)
- 9: Scoring defense (16.4 ppg)
And finally …
- 6: Georgia wins over FBS teams with winning records — Notre Dame (9-3), Mississippi State (8-4), South Carolina (8-4), Appalachian State (7-4), Kentucky (7-5) and Missouri (7-5).
- 5: Alabama wins over FBS teams with winning records — Fresno State (9-3), LSU (9-3), Mississippi State (8-4), Colorado State (7-5) and Texas A&M (7-5).
- 15.6: Alabama’s margin of victory in those five wins over FBS teams with winning records.
- 19.6: Georgia’s margin of victory in its six wins over FBS teams with winning records.