Georgia landed one of the biggest commitment of the 2019 recruiting cycle on Monday, as 5-star offensive lineman Clay Webb announced that he would be playing his college football for the Georgia Bulldogs.
Webb is the No. 1 center in the country and the No. 22 player overall in the 247Sports Composite ranking. He is also the No. 1 overall player in the state of Alabama, making it the first time that Georgia has landed the No. 1 player from the state. Webb is listed at 6-foot-4, 290 pounds.
Alabama, Auburn and Clemson were also among the finalists for Webb’s services. With Webb now in tow, Georgia has the No. 2 overall class in the 2019 recruiting cycle, only behind Alabama. Last year Georgia finished with the No. 1 overall class in the 2018 recruiting cycle. The Bulldogs still have a number of high-ranking targets on the board, such as 5-star wide receiver Jadon Haselwood, 5-star linebacker Nakobe Dean and 5-star running back Trey Sanders.
This is the third consecutive class where Georgia has landed a 5-star offensive lineman. Georgia landed Isaiah Wilson in the 2017 recruiting cycle and Cade Mays and Jamaree Salyer in the 2018 class.
Prospects in the 2019 recruiting cycle can begin to sign on Dec. 19. Webb has indicated that he hopes to begin practicing with Georgia as soon as possible and will be a mid-year in enrollee. In the video above, you can hear Webb tell DawgNation’s Jeff Sentell why he picked Georgia over Alabama and how important Georgia offensive line coach Sam Pittman was in his recruitment.
Best stories from around DawgNation
- Determining Georgia’s defensive MVP for the 2018 season
- SEC Network analysts: Georgia quarterbacks’ playing time in Sugar Bowl hot topic
- Tim Tebow: Georgia football challenged to find motivation for Texas
- Georgia Tech’s new football coach vows not to use red ink again
- Some Dawgs fans don’t mind saying it: ‘Wait till next year!’
- Jake Fromm listed as a top candidate for 2019 Heisman Trophy
- By the Numbers: Plenty of reasons for UGA fans to be excited about the Sugar Bowl