WATCH: College Football Playoff committee says it’s ready for upcoming season
While the Big Ten and PAC-12 will not be playing this fall, the other three Power 5 conferences seem to be moving forward with plans for a 2020 season. The Big 12 and ACC have announced schedules for the 2020 season, while the SEC is set to announce its schedule next week.
As for what comes after the conference championship games, it appears the College Football Playoff committee will still forge ahead and plan to have a College Football Playoff this season, as the committee released a statement on its plans for this season.
“We don’t know right now what the season will bring, but as a committee, we are ready to use the protocol and the expertise of the 13 people who have been charged with selecting the teams,” committee chair and Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said.
“The committee’s task is to rank the teams based on what happens on the field. This week gave us a great chance to catch up with the familiar faces and welcome our three new members to the process. If the board and management committee say we are having a CFP, we will be ready.”
Clemson coach Dabo Swinney weighed on the legitimacy of a champion this season, with two of the five top conferences not playing this season.
“Whoever wins it, wins it. That’s the champ,” Swinney told reporters on Wednesday. “It’s the same way in every sport. … Somebody is gonna win a championship, so maybe it’s a shortened season, maybe it’s not as many teams or whatever. But you best believe whoever wins it is gonna have to earn it. Nobody’s gonna give nothing to nobody, so you can only control what you control.”
The DawgNation group of Brandon Adams, Connor Riley, Jeff Sentell and Mike Griffith weigh in on what the committee said and discuss what comes next with regards to the College Football Playoff and Georgia football.
The group also discusses the following topics on the broadcast:
- Is a College Football Playoff possible in 2020?
What is UGA’s biggest on-field unanswered question?
Who should UGA play Week 1?
- Is a spring season viable?
- Is it more important to play a game against Alabama or Florida for this upcoming season?
The DawgNation group hosts Cover 4 Live every Thursday at 6 p.m. You can watch on along live on the DawgNation Facebook and Youtube pages.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- DN90: Former Ohio State captain says ‘players will think twice’ before committing to Big Ten
- Terrion Arnold: Kirby Smart had very ‘high praise’ for the nation’s No. 2 safety
- Georgia football podcast: Jamie Newman could possibly give UGA what it needs most
- Quarterback expert: Georgia football’s Jamie Newman ‘needs to loosen up’
- Spring football season plan: Viable alternative, or hypocritical option?
- The big questions for Georgia football as it continues to prepare for 2020 season
- Georgia football podcast: Big Ten, PAC-12 aren’t necessary for legitimate national championship
- WATCH: How Big Ten, PAC-12 decisions impact Georgia football and SEC
- SEC, ACC, Big 12 lead way in championship appearances, college football moves forward