Cover 4 on Georgia football: Debating the nation’s top 4 teams … for now and on down the road
DawgNation has four staffers who cover Georgia football from every angle: Beat, live streams, photos, podcasts, recruiting, etc. The “Cover 4” concept is: 1) Present a topic; 2) Offer a reasoned response; 3) Share a brisk statement to support the informed opinion. 4) Pepper the page with photos for the big picture. For this edition, we debate which four teams are the best in college football after five weeks.
DawgNation continues with the “Cover 4” concept. The focus is always a timely “Cover 4” look with each of our guys manning the secondary on a pertinent topic.
The quick in-and-out game remains. These takes are designed to come out quicker than former Bulldog Nick Chubb scored his third touchdown against the Baltimore Ravens this year.
The latest “Cover 4” question is:
Which four teams are the best in the country right now? Which ones reach the playoffs?
Brandon Adams: Georgia, Alabama, Auburn and LSU
The “why” from “DawgNation Daily” here: “UGA, Auburn and LSU have all collected major early-season wins. It separates them from the pack in the playoff debate. Non-SEC teams like Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State might appear more deserving than seemingly-unproven Alabama. However, the Crimson Tide’s win vs. Duke is arguably better than anything that trio has accomplished this season.”
Mike Griffith: Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State
The “why” from “On the Beat” here: “They’re the four best teams in my estimation right now, and, I’ll go out on a limb and say they’re the four who will make the CFP. Here’s how: Ohio State and Clemson run the table, LSU beats Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Georgia wins the SEC title game over LSU, Tide gets in with one-loss over a one-loss Big 12 champ (Oklahoma or Texas).“
Connor Riley: Auburn, UGA, LSU, Ohio State
The “why” from “Good Day UGA” here: “The first three SEC teams all have marquee victories over top 15 teams. As for Ohio State, they’ve been the most impressive team in the country to this point. If this were an end of season prediction, I would go UGA, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma.“
Jeff Sentell: Alabama, Georgia, Auburn and Ohio State
The Intel here: “I don’t see how teams will be able to cover Alabama’s receivers enough to keep them under 35 points in a 60-minute game. Georgia has a nice blend defensively with flashes on offense. The Buckeyes have the best player in the country in edge defender Chase Young. He’s special. Auburn’s resume and its defense have it above LSU, but it won’t last. I see the SEC champion (current pick: Georgia), Ohio State, Oklahoma and Clemson being there at the end. Those won’t be the best four teams in the country.“
The 2019 season “Cover 4” topics so far:
- Which SEC East rival poses the biggest threat?
- What is the toughest game left on the schedule?
- What is the biggest edge that Georgia will have on Notre Dame?
- Who has already opened our eyes after just two games?
- What is your take on the legendary Vince Dooley?
- Who has the biggest day against Murray State?
- The most improved Bulldog since last season is ….
- A few big non-score predictions for Georgia-Vanderbilt
- Which returning Bulldogs impressed the most in fall camp?
- The players set to become the new fan favorites for 2019 are ….
- What will convince you the Bulldogs are throwing the ball more this fall?
- What kind of numbers will D’Andre Swift put up in 2019?
- Jake Fromm’s best quality? The Cover 4 crew chops that one up