Cover 4 on Georgia football: Who will be the head coach when Ohio State visits in 2030?
DawgNation has four staffers who cover Georgia football from every angle: Beat, live streams, photos, podcasts, recruiting, etc. The “Cover 4” concept is: 1) Present a topic; 2) Offer a reasoned response; 3) Share a brisk statement to support that informed opinion. 4) Pepper the page with photos for the big picture. For this edition, we discuss who we THINK will be the head coach at Georgia when that Ohio State series kicks up in 2030.
DawgNation continues with the “Cover 4” concept. The focus is always a timely look with each of our guys manning the secondary on a pertinent topic.
The quick in-and-out game remains. It is designed to come out quicker than former Bulldog Nick Chubb scored his third touchdown against the Baltimore Ravens earlier this year.
The latest “Cover 4” question is:
Who will be Georgia’s head coach in 2030 when Ohio State comes to town?
Brandon Adams: Jake Fromm?
The “why” from “DawgNation Daily” here: “I’m just kidding, but Fromm certainly has the look of a future coach, and it’s easy to imagine him — one day — loving his alma mater as much as the current UGA coach does. However, the real answer: Kirby Smart. The rest of college football won’t be getting him out of Athens anytime soon.”
Mike Griffith: Dan Lanning
The “why” from “On the Beat” here: “For perspective, Steve Spurrier coached Florida for 12 years. Kirby Smart’s 12th year at UGA would be 2027, so that is a good over/under for the Bulldogs’ visored head coach. Dan Lanning will be a successful head coach somewhere else when Smart does leave, and he’s as good of a guess as any to be leading Georgia in 2030.“
Connor Riley: Kirby Smart
The “why” from “Good Day UGA” here: “I’ll bite and say Smart sticks around that long. Mark Richt was at Georgia for 15 years. I do think Smart’s intensity could lead to burnout, but he’s a better bet than any other name possibly on the board.“
Jeff Sentell: Glenn Schumann
The Intel here: “Lanning’s off the board. Smart is the three-foot putt pick, but that doesn’t seem like a lot of fun. While Smart will still certainly have what it takes to sign a 5-star for that team who is just now in the second grade, Schumann intrigues. He’s about 14 years younger than Smart. He will always remember Athens as his first on-field college job and where his first child was born. Those are some thick red-and-black roots. Would he wear the same gray sweatshirt to press conferences every evening? That would be fun to see.”
The 2019 season “Cover 4” topics so far:
- The Florida Gators who can do the most damage against Georgia are …
- Name the Bulldog who delivers a key supporting role against Florida
- What’s the big area where the Bulldogs must “do more” to beat Florida?
- Cover 4: What will Georgia’s record look like at the end of the regular season?
- What is the toughest game left on the schedule?
- What is the biggest edge that Georgia will have on Notre Dame?
- Who has already opened our eyes after just two games?
- What is your take on the legendary Vince Dooley?
- Who has the biggest day against Murray State?
- The most improved Bulldog since last season is ….
- A few big non-score predictions for Georgia-Vanderbilt
- Which returning Bulldogs impressed the most in fall camp?
- The players set to become the new fan favorites for 2019 are ….
- What will convince you the Bulldogs are throwing the ball more this fall?
- What kind of numbers will D’Andre Swift put up in 2019?
- Jake Fromm’s best quality? The Cover 4 crew chops that one up