Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Checking on that 5-star tally for the Bulldogs
Recruiting rankings are relative. Anyone who reads the daily DawgNation recruiting blogs will understand that. Georgia All-SEC and All-American candidate J.R. Reed was a 2-star recruit.
There were 23 other defensive tackles rated higher than Bulldog junior Tyler Clark in the class of 2016.
But there’s this, though: When Kirby Smart and the Georgia staff looks out across their practice fields these days they will spot 21 (yes 21!) players which were definitely at the top of the recruiting boards for just about every big-name program in America.
Why that many? That’s because there are now 21 players on the UGA roster which received the coveted 5-star rating from at least one of the major recruiting services.
A large chunk of those Bulldogs even received the 5-star rating from the 247Sports composite. That’s the algorithm which blends the recruiting rankings of all the major services.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Georgia can only have 85 scholarship players per NCAA rules. That means that 24.7 percent of the players on scholarship can say they were a 5-star.
- The Bulldogs will only be able to take 70 players with them on the road in the SEC. That’s a conference rule. It could very well happen this fall that 34 percent of the travel roster will be made up of those 5-star recruits.
- Looking to just rub it in? Georgia has an additional tally of five more 5-star prospects on the way for 2019 and is only set to lose one (Terry Godwin) for the 2019 season. That means the “5-star ratio” in Athens is actually going to go up.
- Kirby Smart has been able to recruit 21 of those 5-star recruits to campus since he arrived in Athens. He didn’t recruit 2015 signee Terry Godwin, but he also gets credit for former 5-star QB Jacob Eason, too.
- The funny part is that some of the program’s top players (Deandre Baker, Clark, Jonathan Ledbetter, Reed and especially Andrew Thomas) are not included in that figure. Recruiting rankings can be subjective, but there’s no denying the Bulldogs have a roster of talent that was wanted by all the top programs.
The official 5-star tally…
Want to impress your friends at the first tailgate? Then try to play the 5-star game around a cooler or three. The game premise would be simple…..
- Go around the tailgate naming all the 5-stars on the UGA roster. Each participant takes their turn.
- Each former 5-star recruit can only be named once.
- If a player can’t come up with a 5-star, then they are eliminated from the game. (Think of it as one of those last man standing type of games.)
- When they bow out, then maybe they will know what a Florida fan feels like. The Gators only have a couple of 5-stars left on their team and those guys are set to graduate after this season.
- The last player standing takes the crown.
- When the game takes more than five minutes to complete, then that is a very good thing.
The official DawgNation 5-star tally looks like this:
- ATH Terry Godwin (247Sports Composite)
- ATH Mecole Hardman, Jr. (247Sports Composite)
- TE Isaac Nauta(247Sports Composite)
- WR Demetris Robertson(247Sports Composite)
- OL Ben Cleveland (247Sports)
- OT Isaiah Wilson (247Sports Composite)
- S Richard LeCounte III (247Sports Composite)
- RB D’Andre Swift (247Sports Composite)
- QB Jake Fromm (Scout.com)
- S DeAngelo Gibbs (ESPN.com, Scout.com)
- DE/OLB Robert Beal (ESPN.com )
- QB Justin Fields (247Sports Composite)
- RB Zamir White (247Sports Composite)
- OG Jamaree Salyer (247Sports Composite)
- CB Tyson Campbell (247Sports Composite)
- OT Cade Mays (247Sports Composite)
- OLB Brenton Cox (247Sports Composite)
- OLB Adam Anderson (247Sports Composite)
- RB James Cook (Rivals.com)
- LB Channing Tindall (247Sports)
- LB Quay Walker (247Sports)
“Before the Hedges” has revived on DawgNation
Hobnail boot? How about a reboot? DawgNation.com restarted its “Before the Hedges” recruiting special yesterday on Facebook Live.
- It will be an hour-long special every week. It is set to stream at 3 p.m. from the DawgNation studios.
- Brandon Adams hosts the show and will carry the program while an anonymous scribe tries to keep that side of the desk warm until a certain blind squirrel shows up.
- Look for a blend of interviews and recruiting features to go along with the recruiting Q&A and top target lists.
- The Kroger “How ‘Bout them Groceries” $50 gift card contest will remain a staple of the program.
Check out the first edition of Season 2: Before The Hedges below.
Are you keeping up with “Own The East” this week?
The Own the East video series has also returned to DawgNation. Check out some great work by DawgNation’s Chip Towers.
- Hot Rod: Own The East
- Isaac Nauta: Own The East
- The Georgia tailbacks: Own The East
- Spike Squad: Own The East
Here are a few tweets that caught the eyes of DawgNation.com of late.
— Georgia Football (@FootballUGA) August 9, 2018
Sometimes we overthink & make things seem worse than what it is. Regardless, there is always some good in trials and tribulations. Acknowledge the struggle & pain but don’t dwell on it. Look at the good of the situation cause it’s never as bad as it seems #WinWithWynnWednesday
— Isaiah Wynn (@iwynn77) August 8, 2018
Say what u want but I’ve enjoyed not being recognized out here, eating in peace and undisturbed has been nothing but love 😭😭😂 #HardKnocks
— Nick Chubb (@NickChubb21) August 8, 2018
— Georgia Football (@FootballUGA) August 8, 2018
And finally…… everyone knew this “Be a Dawg” presser was likely to show up in “Good Day UGA” at some point, right?
FOOTBALL THIS MONTH!
— Danny Kanell (@dannykanell) August 8, 2018
Miss a previous edition of Good Day, UGA? Get caught up here.