ATHENS — It had been awhile since Georgia updated its public depth chart. And by awhile, we mean that the most recent one – still on the school’s web site on Monday morning – had Malcolm Mitchell at receiver, Leonard Floyd and Jordan Jenkins at outside linebacker, and Faton Bauta at third-team quarterback.
So, there was just a bit of interest on Monday when the team’s sports information department put the Georgia-North Carolina game notes out for perusal. It ended up being somewhat of a letdown, considering the word “or” was liberally used:
- At quarterback, it was listed as a three-way tie: Greyson Lambert, or Brice Ramsey or Jacob Eason.
- Nick Chubb is also given an “or,” with senior Brendan Douglas. The third-teamer is Sony Michel, whose status has not been decided.
- At kicker …
- Graduate transfer Tyler Catalina is the left tackle starter … or Isaiah Wynn, who is also the starting left guard “or” Dyshon Sims, who is the starting right guard “or” Lamont Gaillard.
- Graduate transfer Maurice Smith is the first-team nickel back “or” Rico McGraw.
- Freshman defensive lineman Julian Rochester is second team, “or” true freshman David Marshall. (We’re still awaiting firm word on whether Rochester will be able to play.)
- And continuing the theme, kicker and punter have no starter: Ramsey “or” Marshall Long at punter, and William Ham “or” Rodrigo Blankenship at kicker.
- The few spots that don’t have any “or” at first team: Greg Pyke at right tackle, Brandon Kublanow at center, Jeb Blazevich at tight end, Trent Thompson at defensive tackle, John Atkins at nose tackle, DaQuan Hawkins-Muckle at defensivve end, Lorenzo Carter and Davin Bellamy at outside linebacker, Malkom Parrish and Juwuan Briscoe at cornerback, Dominick Sanders at safety, and Trent Frix at long snapper.
- For more information purposes, the two-deep at recceiver includes six players: Michael Chigbu “or” Terry Godwin as starters, Reggie Davis ‘or” Isaiah McKenzie as starters at the other spot, with Riley Ridley and Jayson Stanley as backups.
- Also for informational purposes, other true freshmen who appear on the two/three-deep depth chart: Defensive linemen Michail Carter and Tyler Clarkb, and Tyrique MccGhee at nickel back.