ATHENS — While Kirby Smart gave positive health updates for most of the Georgia team, quarterback D’Wan Mathis has not yet been given an all-clear.
Mathis had brain surgery in May to remove a cyst. Smart did say that Mathis will be able to participate in some drills.
Mostly though, it will be in drills where he won’t be able to get hit.
“Well, D’Wan isn’t fully cleared,” Smart said. “But he’s able to do passing drills and individual drills. Things where we know he can be safe and not take a hit.”
Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm did add that he is also excited to see what Mathis can do at Georgia’s first practice, even in a controlled environment.
Related: Father of D’Wan Mathis: ‘Georgia saved my son’s life’
“D’Wan’s doing well. D’Wan’s learning,” Fromm said. “Physically, he’s getting better. He’s running well and throwing well.”
Mathis signed with Georgia as a member of the 2019 signing class from Oak Park, Mich. He was a 4-star prospect and the No. 311 ranked player in the country.
As far as a timeline for when he might be fully cleared, Smart said there was no time table in place.
“Don’t know when he’s going to be fully cleared but I’m excited to see what he’s going to do today,” Smart said.
Georgia begins fall practice today, but will only be in helmets on the first day. With Mathis still not able to practice, Stetson Bennett will serve as the back-up quarterback behind Fromm.
Like Mathis, Bennett also signed with Georgia as a member of the 2019 signing class. Bennett was a walk-on at Georgia during the 2017 season, before spending last year at Jones County Junior College in Mississippi.
Last season Fromm threw for 30 touchdowns to just 6 interceptions while leading the Bulldogs to a second consecutive SEC East title.
Georgia opens the season on Aug. 31, when the Bulldogs visit the Vanderbilt Commodores. The game is set for a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- WATCH Kirby Smart: Georgia football grinding for grit, identity
- Georgia football coach Kirby Smart: Zamir White is cleared
- WATCH: ‘Georgia Olympics’ pit players vs. coaches in hilarious competition
- Kirby Smart shares Georgia football plans for ‘electric’ James Cook
- 5 things on Georgia football receivers: Cobbled together, dynamic and tough group
- Homegrown 5-star Travon Walker resets a recruiting narrative at UGA
- 5 Georgia football players who could benefit the most from strong start to fall practice