ATHENS — Former Georgia offensive lineman Isaiah Wilson was placed on the NFL’s reserve-COVID-19 list, per NFL reports.
Tennessee coach Mike Vrabel, who made Wilson the Titans’ first selection in the 2020 NFL Draft with the 29th overall pick, announced the news on Tuesday.
The COVID-19 list is for players who either test positive or are quarantined after coming in contact with an infected person.
Georgia has not released any information on the number of current players who have tested positive.
The NFL has been more transparent in this area.
Vrabel said he didn’t believe the time Wilson will be forced to miss — a minimum of a couple of weeks, per the NFL’s chief medial officer — will have a significant effect on his ability to compete for a starting job.
“The lines of scrimmage, I think are something that there is some carryover from the college level, especially playing in a big conference, for a big school, that carries over,” Vrabel said per NFL.com.
“Some of the techniques might be different, but a lot of the blocking schemes are going to be similar. … I would say the playbook isn’t quite as large (for a lineman) than, say, a wide receiver, the learning.”
“If I’m a right tackle, I know I’m going to line up next to the right guard and I’m going to have a split,” Vrabel said. “But with a receiver, his alignment may be on either side, it may be inside, it may be outside, on top of the numbers, it’s two yards inside the numbers.
“So we’re hopeful we’ll get (Wilson) up to speed after seeing him in the Zoom meetings, having him here and we’ll go from there.”
The Titans are scheduled to open the season on Sept. 14 at Denver.
A total of 21 NFL players have tested positive for COVID-19 since players began reporting to training camp and 107 have tested positive in total this offseason, per the NFLPA’s latest data.
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) July 28, 2020
Georgia football 2020 NFL Draft
- J.R. Reed lands with the Jacksonville Jaguars as undrafted free agent
- Tae Crowder taken as Mr. Irrelevant by the New York Giants in 2020 NFL Draft
- Kirby Smart calls out opposing coaches for saying ‘it’s better to not go to the SEC because it’s too tough’
- One of the Rolling Stones most beloved songs could’ve easily been about D’Andre Swift
- Solomon Kindley drafted by Miami Dolphins in 2020 NFL Draft fourth round
- Detroit Lions select D’Andre Swift in second round of 2020 NFL Draft
- On the clock: Jake Fromm still waiting entering 2020 NFL Draft fourth round
- Arkansas shares awesome video of Sam Pittman celebrating Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Wilson selections
- Rodrigo Blankenship: What to know about the 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- J.R. Reed: What to know about the 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- Social media strongly questions D’Andre Swift snub from first round of 2020 NFL Draft
- Tennessee Titans select Isaiah Wilson in first round of 2020 NFL Draft
- New York Giants select Andrew Thomas with the No. 4 pick in 2020 NFL Draft
- What social media is saying about Andrew Thomas being the top offensive tackle in 2020 NFL Draft