ATHENS – Georgia welcomed 14 early enrollees for its annual “G-Day” spring scrimmage on Saturday. That’s a high for the Kirby Smart era and very likely a new normal for mid-year enrollees going forward.
That is the way Smart looks at it now.
“I would first say that it is going to happen more and more,” Smart told the “Bulldogs Gameday” program earlier this spring. “I think that we are in the age of early enrollment and that’s what people want to do. It may not be 14, but I think it is going to be over 10 all the time. That’s increasing.”
For those watching from the stands or at home, here’s a look at those 14 and what numbers they will be wearing on Saturday for G-Day.
There are a few of those who are still recovering or rehabbing from injury. Those Bulldogs are noted with an asterisk below.
Red Team Early Enrollees
(Part of a team structured around the N0. 1 offense)
Black Team Early Enrollees
(Part of a team arranged around the N0. 1 defense)
- 2 – D’Wan Mathis/Quarterback/Belleville, Mich.
- 4- Nolan Smith Jr./Outside Linebacker/Savannah, Ga.
- 11 – Jermaine Johnson/Junior/Outside Linebacker/Eden Prairie, Minn.
- 13 – Stetson Bennett IV/Junior/Quarterback/Blackshear, Ga.
- 17 – Nakobe Dean/Freshman/Inside Linebacker/Horn Lake, Miss.
- 60 – Clay Webb/Freshman/Guard/Center/Oxford, Ala.
- 70 – Warren McClendon/Guard and tackle/Brunswick, Ga.
- 90 – Tramel Walthour/Defensive tackle/Hinesville, Ga.
There are also four junior college signees who have enrolled early this spring. That is also the most junior college prospects that the Bulldogs have taken in a single recruiting class.
Georgia’s 2019 class was rated as the nation’s No. 2 overall group on the 247Sports Team Composite ratings.
DawgNation ran a quick profile on 5-star OLB Nolan Smith earlier this week. Smith finished the 2019 cycle rated as the nation’s No. 1 overall prospect on the composite for the cycle.
The former 5-star from Savannah had been committed to UGA for almost two full years prior to enrolling back in January. The early buzz on Smith reflects that he is living up to that considerable hype so far.