Former Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray to start for Atlanta Legends of AAF
It took four games, but it looks like Aaron Murray will finally be starting for the Atlanta Legends of the Alliance of American Football. Murray will replace Matt Simms, who left last week’s game with an injury.
— Atlanta Legends (@AafLegends) March 7, 2019
The quarterback switch comes after Murray led the Legends to their first victory on Sunday against the Arizona Hotshots. Murray played well in his first extended action, as he completed 20 of his 33 pass attempts for 254 yards while also leading the team in rushing, as he ran for 54 yards on 7 carries. The Legends ended up winning 14-11.
Murray bounced around the NFL after being drafted in 2014 by the Kansas City Chiefs. He never appeared in a game, and has also spent time on the practice squad with the Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals and Los Angeles Rams.
In his time at Georgia, Murray set a number of records, as he is the SEC’s all-time leader in passing yards and touchdown passes. Georgia won the SEC East twice with Murray at the helm in 2011 and 2012.
The Legends — which have several former Georgia players like punter Cam Nizialek and defensive back Damian Swann on the roster — take on the Memphis Express. Memphis will start former LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who played at Georgia before transferring.
Mettenberger and Murray have faced off once before, as they played each other in 2013. Georgia came away with a classic 44-41 win over the Tigers that day in what might have Murray’s finest moment in a Georgia uniform. Murray threw for 298 yards and 4 touchdowns that day.
The game will be played in Atlanta at Georgia State Stadium and kickoff is set for 4 p.m.
Best Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- SPRING PREVIEW: Georgia punter Jake Camarda seeks across-the-board improvement in second season
- Top of the class: Identifying Georgia football’s best seniors for 2019
- National analysts differ on if Georgia football coach Kirby Smart is a top-10 coach
- Georgia basketball coach Tom Crean: Rayshaun Hammonds likely done for season
- Georgia basketball senior class dismissed, falls 64-39 in home finale
- WATCH: Dream school or schools? What happened with Florida? Carson Beck breaks it down
- BREAKING: Former UGA starter arrested for having loaded gun on campus