Georgia jumped by Oklahoma in Week 1 Coaches, AP Polls
Georgia football is a little less than two weeks away from playing its first game. But with the rest of college football getting started this weekend, the Coaches Poll and AP Poll have both been updated. The teams that are not playing this fall — teams in the Big Ten, PAC 12, Mountain West and MAC — were removed.
Georgia remained at No. 4 in the Coaches Poll and the AP Poll . Oklahoma moved up to the No. 3 spot in both polls. Clemson is ranked No. 1 in both polsl.
The Bulldogs are now one of eight SEC teams ranked in the Coaches Poll. Alabama comes in at No. 2, LSU is at No. 5, Florida is No. 6, Auburn is at No. 9, Texas A&M is No. 10, Tennessee is No. 17 and Kentucky is No. 20.
In the time since the preseason polls were released, Georgia saw quarterback Jamie Newman opt out of the 2020 season. Without him, Georgia will turn to either JT Daniels or D’Wan Mathis at the quarterback position. Mathis took more of the reps with the first-team on Saturday. Daniels has also not yet been cleared for game action.
While the offense has a number of questions, the Georgia defense figures to be one of the best in the country. The Bulldogs bring back a number of contributors from last season’s team, which led the nation in scoring defense and rushing defense.
“This is a fun team to coach thus far. We do things as a group. I love being around them. They’re funny. They’ve not shied away from any work,” Georgia coach Kirby Smart said. “Defensively, Richard (LeCounte) has been a great leader. Monty (Rice) has been a good leader. Jordan Davis has stepped up.
“There’s so many guys that seem like they’re experienced and they lead in the right direction. They’re positive when things aren’t going well and they have a lot of fun on the football field.”
Georgia’s season will start on Sept. 26 when it visits Arkansas. The game will start at 4 p.m. and air on the SEC Network.
To see the full Week 1 AP and Coaches Poll, see below.
Week 1 Top 25 Coaches Poll 2020
7. Notre Dame
10. Texas A&M
11. North Carolina
12. Oklahoma State
13. Central Florida
19. Virginia Tech
21. UL Lafayette
23. App State
Week 1 Top 25 AP Poll 2020
7. Notre Dame
10. Texas A&M
11. Oklahoma State
12. North Carolina
19. Louisiana Lafayette
20. Virginia Tech
24. App State
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- NFL opens 2020 with 51 former Georgia football players on rosters
- WATCH: UGA could be on the verge of historic defense in 2020
- Jeremy Pruitt says Tennessee transfer plea ‘not just about Cade (Mays)’
- James Cook excited to play in new Todd Monken offense after impressive offseason
- en Cleveland: Georgia football quarterback competition ‘creates a good vibe on the team’
- Maason Smith: Comparing his recent visits to check out Georgia and LSU
- Georgia football podcast: UGA’s running backs have great potential, but they need help
- CBS projects Georgia football quarterback JT Daniels first-round 2021 NFL Draft pick