Florida coach Dan Mullen seems to take a swipe at Georgia over Justin Fields situation
Dan Mullen has a taken a few shots at Georgia in his short time at the University of Florida. And it appears that he may have taken another one on Monday while discussing transfers.
Mullen was speaking to reporters on the subject of transfers when he seemed to take a clear swipe at Georgia regarding how it seemed to handle the transfer situation of quarterback Justin Fields. Fields famously transferred from Georgia after just one season.
As for some past instances of Mullen throwing shade at Georgia, the Florida head coach compared Georgia winning the SEC East in 2017 to a blind squirrel finding an acorn.
“Listen, making it to one SEC Championship Game doesn’t make you a dominant program, you know what I’m saying?” Mullen said. “I mean, two out of the last three years we’ve still been to the SEC Championship Game. So even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.”
Kirby Smart hasn’t commented on the Fields since he officially transferred from the program. Smart and the Bulldogs did beat Mullen and the Gators 36-17 last year in Jacksonville, Fla., The two teams meet again this year on Nov. 2. Both teams will likely enter the season as top-10 teams, with many pegging the Bulldogs to begin the year in the top 5.
Related: Georgia football win total set at 10.5
Georgia has won the last two games against Florida, as the Bulldogs crushed the Gators 42-7 back in 2017. In his first year at Florida, the Gators went 10-3, with a win over Michigan in the Peach Bowl.
Best Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia’s top 2021 QB prospect Brock Vandagriff shares his thoughts on UGA
- Georgia football podcast: Evidence mounts that Jake Fromm could depart UGA after this season
- Kirby Smart: Georgia football will put more heat on opposing quarterbacks
- SPRING PREVIEW: Now an experienced senior, Georgia’s Tae Crowder has a chance to shine at inside linebacker
- WATCH: Georgia football players take part in epic dodgeball game against coaching staff
- WATCH 4 Georgia spring football O-line questions; How back is Big Ben Cleveland?
- Former UGA QB Aaron Murray does it again
- Alyssa DiCarlo becomes Georgia softball all-time home runs leader, vaults atop nation
- Mykel Williams: Rising sophomore star defender out for the rest of spring drills after injury
- ESPN mock draft projects Stetson Bennett to New Orleans: Why Saints would be good fit for Georgia QB
- Georgia football playing the long game with versatile defensive back Smoke Bouie
- Report: Key Georgia football player settles court case, takes plea deal
- ESPN projects another Georgia record-breaking NFL Draft class teed up: 3 players expected to be Top 10 picks