While there are a number of questions with regards to the Georgia offense, Georgia’s defense figures to be one of the best in the country.
With a number of returning starters and key contributors back from a defense that led the country in scoring defense and rushing defense last season, there’s good reason to be excited about the group.
Even head coach Kirby Smart, who rarely doles out praise, couldn’t hide his excitement when talking about the group.
“This is a fun team to coach thus far. We do things as a group. I love being around them. They’re funny. They’ve not shied away from any work,” Smart said. “Defensively, Richard (LeCounte) has been a great leader. Monty (Rice) has been a good leader. Jordan Davis has stepped up.
“There’s so many guys that seem like they’re experienced and they lead in the right direction. They’re positive when things aren’t going well and they have a lot of fun on the football field.”
This Georgia defense has the potential to be the best that Smart has coached to this point in his time at Georgia, which is really saying something.
On this week’s Cover 4 LIVE, DawgNation’s Brandon Adams, Connor Riley, Jeff Sentell and Mike Griffith discuss the strengths of the defense and why it figures to be among the best in the country.
Among the other topics discussed:
- How does Jamie Newman’s departure impact the season-long outlook on Georgia?
- What might be some weak spots on the Georgia defense?
- Who will be Georgia’s breakout player on defense?
- Which Georgia player are you most excited to watch?
- How will Georgia’s quarterback battle shake out?
- Can the SEC get multiple teams into the College Football Playoff?
Cover 4 Live takes place every Thursday at 6 p.m. ET and can be seen on the DawgNation Facebook and Youtube pages.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Ben Cleveland: Georgia football quarterback competition ‘creates a good vibe on the team’
- Maason Smith: Comparing his recent visits to check out Georgia and LSU
- Georgia football podcast: UGA’s running backs have great potential, but they need help
- CBS projects Georgia football quarterback JT Daniels first-round 2021 NFL Draft pick
- After becoming leaders, Georgia needs Zamir White and James Cook to become stars
- Tre’ McKitty injury puts further strain on new-look Georgia football offense
- In the doghouse: COVID rule means no sideline presence for Georgia mascot ‘Uga’