WATCH: How Jamie Newman’s decision both hurts and helps Georgia moving forward
Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman stunned the college football world on Wednesday when he announced he would be opting out of the 2020 season in order to prepare for the 2021 NFL Draft.
Newman arrived at Georgia in January as a graduate transfer from Wake Forest. Many had spent the offseason hyping up Newman as a possible Heisman Trophy candidate and a first-round draft pick.
— Jamie Newman (@jlmn12_) September 2, 2020
Georgia coach Kirby Smart issued a statement on the decision.
“While we will miss him being part of our program, I fully support Jamie’s decision and we will continue to regard him as a Georgia Bulldog,” Smart said. “Certainly, we wish him nothing but the best in his quest for an NFL career and he knows he will always have a home at UGA.”
Newman’s departure gives Georgia just over three weeks to figure out who its starting quarterback for the season-opener against Arkansas will be. The Bulldogs’ first game is on Sept. 26, and Georgia will have between the likes of JT Daniels, D’Wan Mathis, Stetson Bennett and Carson Beck to choose from.
DawgNation’s Mike Griffith, Brandon Adams, Jeff Sentell and Connor Riley discuss the Newman news along with the impact it has on the 2020 Georgia team.
Among the other topics discussed during the broadcast:
What’s next for UGA after Jamie Newman’s departure?
What’s the real story behind Jamie Newman’s opt-out?
- What does the decision mean for Todd Monken and his offense?
- What does this mean for Kirby Smart going forward?
Should UGA fans be concerned about JT Daniels’ health?
Where do D’Wan Mathis, Carson Beck fit into QB competition?
Cover 4 Live takes place every Thursday at 6 p.m. ET and can be seen on the DawgNation Facebook and Youtube pages.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia football podcast: One thing for UGA that hasn’t changed with Jamie Newman’s departure
- Georgia football podcast: The missing ingredient in UGA’s national championship resume
- What we’ve learned about UGA’s other quarterbacks from fall camp
- 3 things about new Georgia football quarterback situation after Jamie Newman’s departure
- Georgia football: Which quarterback is affected the most by Jamie Newman opting out this season?
- Without Jamie Newman, UGA offensive success will hinge on Todd Monken abilities
- WATCH: Kirby Smart leads Georgia football march across campus, team pays tribute
- Kirby Smart issues official statement on Jamie Newman opt-out
- What Jamie Newman’s decision means for Georgia’s 2020 national title hopes
- What social media is saying after UGA QB Jamie Newman opts out of 2020 season