Georgia’s annual G-Day scrimmage was set to take place this coming Saturday. As it usually does, it would’ve attached a number of Georgia fans and seen a handful of big performances.
Of course, G-Day will now no longer be taking place due to the COVID-19 outbreak as it wiped Georgia’s entire spring practice. So it’s fair to wonder which players would’ve received a heavier workload and shined during the event.
Part of the reason for this is because Kirby Smart designs G-Day to be tough on his quarterbacks. He has them playing against the first-team secondary most of the time, and Georgia happens to have a great secondary. In each of the past three G-Day scrimmages, the starting quarterback completed 50 percent or worse of his throws every time. That means that it likely wouldn’t have been a great day for newcomer Jamie Newman.
Smart also doesn’t fully unleash his starting running back either. In the last two G-Day’s, D’Andre Swift combined for just three carries. In 2017, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel combined for just a single carry. That likely means Smart wouldn’t have relied a whole on Zamir White during the game.
That leaves McIntosh and Milton as two guys who could really have an opportunity to put up numbers. McIntosh did so in a small sample size in 2019 and will be looking for a bigger role in 2020. A strong G-Day performance, which he’s capable of giving, likely could’ve been a springboard going into fall camp.
As for Milton, he’s the top freshman for Georgia who enrolled early. He’d already made significant gains in Georgia’s strength and conditioning workouts in the run up to the start of spring practice. And with White likely seeing fewer carries, he stands to be a beneficiary of that.
In the video below, we also discuss sophomore linebacker Nakobe Dean, safety Lewis Cine as well as the Georgia running back position as a whole.
Why Georgia running backs are like the film Goodfellas
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia football podcast: SEC Network analyst uses faulty logic to justify Florida over UGA
- The perfect home for every Georgia football 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- WATCH: Georgia football WR Tommy Bush readying for comeback
- Jermaine Burton: Why coming home means so much to Georgia’s next great receiver
- WATCH: Outgoing Georgia football game captain Michael Barnett shares hilarious Georgia Tech take
- Georgia football looking west again for tight end position in 2021 class
- Why internet outrage over RBU rankings shows why Georgia is the real ‘RBU’