Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.
For all the hype surrounding Zach Evans, let’s remember to appreciate Kendall Milton
Following the commitment of 4-star running back Daijun Edwards, Georgia’s recruitment of 5-star prospect Zach Evans is likely done. It’s been a wild recruitment for one of the country’s top players, but with Georgia now having two running backs in its 2020 class, Evans is probably going to end up playing elsewhere.
And for all that’s been made in the past two months of Evans, he’s overshadowed Georgia’s other standout running back Kendall Milton quite a bit. Evans has a higher ranking — he’s the No. 2 running back in the 247Sports Composite rankings compared to Milton coming in at No. 7 — and there’s the fact that Evans has had a very open recruitment while Milton has been firmly pledged to the Bulldogs since July.
But make no mistake about it, Georgia is still getting a very special running back in Milton. One that has a real chance to impress early on.
Milton is already enrolled at Georgia and figures to help shoulder the load this coming season in replacing D’Andre Swift and Brian Herrien.
Milton was also a massive behind the scenes leader for Georgia’s 2020 recruiting class, which now sits as the No. 1 overall class according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. He’s also already hosting prospects on official visits, as he did so for Sedrick Van Pran-Granger.
I'd like to submit this video from @therealkmilt in July as a nominee for "What's aged the best" for Georgia's 2020 recruiting class, which currently ranks in the top 2 and not No. 2. pic.twitter.com/cT8OoLeMjK
— Connor Riley (@Kconnorriley) January 30, 2020
When you factor in his on-field talents with his off-the-field personality, it shouldn’t take very long for Milton to become a leader for this program and a favorite for fans.
Georgia has a strong recent history of producing great running backs, from Todd Gurley to Nick Chubb to Swift, who looks to be one of the top running back prospects in the upcoming NFL draft. And while many may have wanted to see Evans in a Georgia uniform, Milton seems like the kind of player who is very well suited to become the next great member of ‘RBU’.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Will Shipley: The junior RB is best defined by a letter rather than a 5-star ranking
- Jake Fromm ‘never prayed about anything harder’ than before NFL decision
- Georgia football podcast: Elite recruit hints at interesting change for UGA
- Georgia offensive personality shifting, but core beliefs and process likely unchanged
- Highlighting the players in the 2020 recruiting class you would’ve loved to see Georgia football land
- Sedrick Van Pran-Granger: Even Arthur Blank wants to know if he’s still ‘comfortable’ with UGA
- Jeremy Pruitt’s attempted visit with 5-star RB Zach Evans reportedly didn’t go as planned
- National media forms consensus on new Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken