Georgia was supposed to hold its 2020 spring scrimmage, better known as G-Day, on Saturday, April 18. That now won’t be happening due to the cancellation of spring sports due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
But that cancellation doesn’t mean that Georgia is just going to take the day off. As is usually the case, Georgia head coach Kirby Smart is going to try his best and put on a show for G-Day.
The Bulldogs will be hosting a virtual G-Day, anchored around the 2 p.m. broadcast of Georgia’s 2019 victory over Notre Dame.
Earlier in the week, Smart went on Atlanta radio station 680 The Fan to explain what a virtual G-Day will look like.
“I think it’s an opportunity,” Smart said. “We’re looking for every opportunity we can to get in front of No. 1 our loyal fan base, Dawg Nation, our boosters, Magill (society) members and recruits. And what better way to showcase that than a home game against Notre Dame that was just a spectacular presentation put together by our athletic department with the lights and everything.
“We’re jumping on it. They’ll have a retelecast of it on the SEC Network at 2 o’clock and I’ll be live-tweeting that. THere’s a chance I go on Facebook Live with our radio crew and give them a few minutes. Just go on with them a few minutes between tweets. I’m looking forward to it.”
For those that have paid attention to the way Smart has operated in his time as the Georgia head coach, this really shouldn’t be a surprise. Smart has always used G-Day to show what the program has to offer, and it’s usually a spectacle of sorts.
As we explain in the video below, so long as Smart is running things at Georgia, G-Day is going to be a big deal for the program. Certainly a bigger deal than most other spring games to other programs.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- DawgNation team members try and put together the best Kirby Smart era team
- Georgia football podcast: CBS writer says UGA could be among SEC’s ‘most explosive offenses’
- SEC commissioner Greg Sankey hasn’t ruled out football season without all conferences
- Jake Fromm NFL Draft stock rising quickly after interviews
- WATCH: Athens medical professionals, Kirby Smart perform awesome ‘Hero Walk’ for discharged Georgia football staffer
- Georgia football: Hard to believe that #93KDay was already four years ago
- Georgia coach Kirby Smart explains what to expect on Virtual G-Day
- Georgia football podcast: Kirby Smart highlights possible top ‘playmakers’ in new Todd Monken offense
- Kirby Smart: Georgia QB Jamie Newman ‘knows he has to beat guys out’