Prior to the start of the 2019 season, Arkansas State coach Blake Anderson’s wife Wendy passed away at the age of 49. She had been battling breast cancer for over two years before passing away on Aug. 19.
Georgia now plays Arkansas State this week and some in the Georgia community wanted to honor Wendy Anderson. On the morning of Sept. 10, the Bulldogs Battling Breast Cancer account tweeted out that Georgia fans should wear pink on Saturday, as pink is the color associated with breast cancer awareness.
— Bulldogs Battling Breast Cancer 🐶🎗 (@bbbc_athens) September 10, 2019
The tweet went viral, catching the attention of many in the Georgia football community. Blake Anderson, who will be returning to the sidelines for the first time since his wife’s death on Saturday, saw the tweet and greatly appreciated what Georgia fans are trying to do.
Beyond grateful… thank you 💕 https://t.co/lfqZr48ZhJ
— Blake Anderson (@CHbanderson) September 10, 2019
Then on Wednesday night, the Georgia football Twitter account got in on the initiative, encouraging Georgia fans to wear pink to the game on Saturday. The Bulldogs and Red Wolves kick off at 12 p.m. ET on ESPN2 on Saturday.
— Georgia Football (@GeorgiaFootball) September 10, 2019
Georgia coach Kirby Smart has spoken multiple times this week about Anderson and how he’s handled everything.
“When I first heard the news, I was crushed for him, his family, his kids. I can never imagine what he’s having to go through because that’s really tough,” Smart said. “Obviously, he loves family because he made the choice to step away and was able to go be with them and now, he’s come back. I’ve met Blake a couple times and I’ve got a lot of respect for him as a person and a coach. I can’t imagine what he’s had to go through as far as his family, all his family, his kids and everything.”
Smart added on Tuesday night that he thought Anderson had handled the entire situation with class.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- How D’Andre Swift is ‘trying to be the best running back in college football’
- WATCH: Georgia football powering up as SEC East Division rivals crumble
- Elite 2021 target Jayden Thomas: Big catches, bigger options and … The Beatles?
- Georgia football podcast: Noon start vs. anonymous opponent tough sell for some UGA fans
- UGA will set attendance record for Notre Dame game with extra seats
- Georgia coach Kirby Smart equates SEC road locker rooms to ‘dungeons’
- Georgia football practice observations: Scout team dialing in Bulldogs
- Leonard Floyd one of the many former Georgia defenders who shined in week 1