WATCH: DawgNation insiders cover all aspects of Georgia football 2020 quarterback battle
The competition for the Georgia quarterback spot got a whole lot more interesting this week with the addition of USC transfer JT Daniels. He was a 5-star quarterback in the 2018 recruiting class and a starter for USC as a freshman that fall.
He joins the likes of D’Wan Mathis, Carson Beck, Stetson Bennett and most importantly Jamie Newman. Like Daniels, Newman transferred into Georgia from a Power Five program, as he comes from Wake Forest. Newman arrived as a graduate transfer back in January.
Newman got a ton of hype throughout the offseason. But now it no longer looks like it is a lock for him to be the starting quarterback for Georgia in 2020. He’ll have to beat out Daniels along with a host of other talented quarterbacks.
So what does the addition of Daniels mean for Georgia this season? Well, the DawgNation team breaks it down in this week’s episode of Cover 4.
Among the topics discussed by the DawgNation experts Brandon Adams, Mike Griffith, Connor Riley and Jeff Sentell:
- How is this situation different from the 2018 quarterback battle?
- What are Newman’s strengths? What does Daniels do well? How do the two differ?
- How might a schedule change impact the competition?
- What does new offensive coordinator Todd Monken’s offense look like and how does play into Daniels’ and Newman’s strengths?
- How healthy is Daniels? He suffered a season-ending knee injury in the opening game of the 2019 USC.
- How will both Daniels and Newman handle the pressure at Georgia?
- What does the addition of Daniels mean for Carson Beck and D’Wan Mathis as well?
The group also goes on to discuss the latest developments within the 2020 season with regards to COVID-19, as well as their outlooks for what the schedule might end up looking like.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- REPORT: Power 5 expected to announce uniform COVID-19 testing, protocol policy
- Greg Sankey: SEC title game date might change, spring football not a priority
- Georgia leadership approves Florida game staying in Jacksonville despite pandemic
- Brock Vandagriff already displaying leadership qualities for Georgia football
- WATCH: One big difference between 2018, 2020 Georgia football quarterback battles
- Georgia football, basketball violations led to recruiting restrictions
- D’Wan Mathis, Carson Beck still major part of UGA QB story
- Commissioner Greg Sankey: SEC still considering full football schedule