WATCH: Trying to unravel Georgia football quarterback mystery as Bulldogs face Auburn
Georgia played two quarterbacks in its season-opener against Arkansas. It then began the week by adding a third name to the mix as Kirby Smart began the week by announcing that JT Daniels was cleared to play against Auburn.
The Daniels news make an already messy quarterback situation even more complex. D’Wan Mathis got the start last week but it’s undeniably clear that Stetson Bennett had the better game against Arkansas.
Daniels though has the better pedigree and arrived this summer as a transfer from USC. Smart provided an update on Daniels on Wednesday of this week, and the Georgia head coach wasn’t all that revealing.
“He’s continuing to work. He’s doing a great job—glad he’s cleared because he is able to play now,” Smart said. “We’re excited to see him and see what he does.”
Smart was also asked about where Mathis is at after making his first career start.
“He’s continuing to work. He’s getting better. He’s growing as a player,” Smart said. “He has learned from some of his mistakes, and [we’re] trying to get the players around him to play better too so that allows him to have success.”
The Bulldogs though won’t have the luxury of getting by with ineffective quarterback play this Saturday as they welcome the Auburn Tigers to Sanford Stadium. College GameDay will be in town for the first top-10 matchup of the season.
So what will the Bulldogs do at quarterback? And what should they do? The DawgNation team of Brandon Adams, Mike Griffith, Jeff Sentell and Connor Riley discuss Georgia’s convoluted quarterback situation.
Among the other topics discussed:
What are UGA’s most interesting position battles?
- Who will be UGA’s breakout player vs. Auburn?
- SEC Week 1 takeaways
Cover 4 Live takes place every week at 7:30 p.m. ET. You can watch live on the DawgNation Facebook and Youtube pages.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- 3 things: Georgia QB Stetson Bennett favorite to start against Auburn
- Quarterback questions have national media skeptical of Georgia football chances against Auburn
- Georgia football podcast: Auburn players have ‘chip on their shoulder’ for UGA
- Georgia football players detail how COVID offseason has impacted offensive chemistry
- How Jack Podlesny earned the chance to replace Rodrigo Blankenship as Georgia football kicker
- Cade Mays will play this season for Tennessee, as SEC grants transfer waivers in ‘unprecedented times’
- Jonathan Jefferson: Georgia football commit blessed to see father’s recovery from COVID-19
- Georgia football podcast: Kirby Smart’s response to Gus Malzahn is perfect setup for rivalry game