Georgia saw one of its top linebacker targets in the 2021 recruiting class elected to play elsewhere, as 4-star linebacker Barrett Carter committed to Clemson.
Given both outside and inside linebacker were a significant need in for Georgia in this cycle, it has to sting to see one of the top players both at the position and in the state commit elsewhere.
But the Bulldogs have already turned elsewhere and begun to press elsewhere in the class.
On Wednesday, a number of commits, current Bulldogs and even two former Bulldogs in Roquan Smith and Lorenzo Carter made a very public appeal to 4-star outside linebacker prospect Dallas Turner.
Georgia has done this for a handful of other recruits, such as 5-star prospects Amarius Mims and Smael Mondon, there hasn’t been a public push this large before for a prospect. Turner is the No. 46 overall prospect in the 2021 recruiting cycle according to 247Sports Composite rankings. This is shaping up to be a big-time battle between Clemson and Alabama.
Smith was a first round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, while Carter went in the third round of that same draft to the New York Giants. Having players like that helping the Georgia recruiting efforts no doubt will make an impact on the recruiting trail.
— David Daniel (@David_X_Dope) May 20, 2020
— Azeez (@_Azeez_8) May 20, 2020
— DBA_UNO (@_Dwfootball11) May 21, 2020
— Lorenzo Carter (@_zocarter) May 21, 2020
— Quan (@RoquanSmith1) May 21, 2020
DawgNation’s Connor Riley breaks down some of the other big targets at both linebacker spots, why it is and isn’t a big deal for Georgia to miss one big-time local prospect.
Riley also spends time talking about what comes next with Georgia players possibly returning to campus. The NCAA announced that it will allow athletes in football, men’s and women’s basketball to return starting June 1. The SEC is set to vote on the issue as a conference on Friday, with either a June 1 or June 15 return date being discussed for players.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Athlon Sports Top 25 football preview explains why Florida ahead of Georgia
- Update: DeAndre Baker legal issues tangled, libel and slander case pending
- Georgia Governor Brian Kemp ‘optimistic’ on 2020 season, weighs in on Georgia football offense
- Where Georgia football 2021 recruiting commitments and targets rank after latest updates
- Georgia football podcast: Elite RB recruit Donovan Edwards gives UGA cool shoutout
- De’Jahn Warren: The real nuggets to know about the nation’s No. 1 JUCO prospect
- What Barrett Carter’s decision means for Georgia and where the Bulldogs go next in 2021 recruiting
- WATCH: Mark Richt shares tale of hiring Kirby Smart as RB assistant