WATCH: UGA-Tennessee feels like a real rivalry again
The No. 3 Georgia Bulldogs have another big-time match-up this Saturday as they take on the No. 14 Tennessee Volunteers. This will be the first time since 2016 and only the second time since 2007 that the two annual SEC East foes meet as ranked opponents.
This year’s contest figures to be spicer with due to the Cade Mays drama. Mays was expected to be Georgia’s left tackle for 2020. But in January, he announced he was transferring to Tennessee. The Volunteers learned last week that Mays would be eligible to play.
Mays isn’t very popular among Georgia fans, but the team and its players have publicly wished nothing but the best to the former Bulldog.
“I thought Cade had done a tremendous job for us,” Georgia coach Kirby Smart said. “I’ve got a lot of respect for Cade as a player and a person. That’s all I can say about it. He’s no longer with us. I am looking forward to the matchup. He’s a really good football player, one of the toughest players that I have been around, and I am looking forward to the matchup.”
Add in that Tennessee employs former Georgia offensive coordinator Jim Chaney to go along with Tennessee riding an eight-game winning streak, and this yearly contest feels like it has a little more juice than it does in recent seasons.
On this week’s Cover 4 Live, DawgNation’s Brandon Adams, Connor Riley, Jeff Sentell and Mike Griffith discuss this Saturday’s game as well as a deeper view of the future of the Georgia-Tennessee rivalry.
Among some of the other topics include:
- Which under the radar players will have strong games against Tennessee?
- How will Stetson Bennett IV look against a strong Tennesse defense?
- What is the biggest concern for Georgia?
- What have been some of the takeaways from the first two weeks of SEC play
- Does Georgia have enough offense to beat Alabama?
Cover 4 Live takes place every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET and can be seen on the DawgNation Facebook and Youtube pages.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia football podcast: UGA fans should take Kirby Smart’s assessment of Tennessee seriously
- DawgNation Happy Hour: Tee Martin’s description of UGA’s defense is what fans want to hear
- Oscar Delp: Surging in-state prospect was told he’s the No. 1 TE for UGA in 2022
- National media takes notice of Georgia defense as big Tennessee contest looms
- Why ‘freak’ Jalen Carter is ‘a threat for the next 3 or 4 years’ for UGA
- 5 questions: Tennessee beat writer shares keys for Vols’ upset hopes
- Demetris Robertson discusses difficulties of transferring into Georgia football program
- Kirby Smart not seeking ‘reinvention of wheel,’ but Georgia needs explosive runs
- Smael Mondon: Nation’s No. 1 LB breaks down his final five and pending decision timeline
- Georgia football injury update: One key offensive piece returns, another questionable for Tennessee