ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart isn’t one to dwell on negatives, but he did confess to learning a lesson from the homecoming game loss to Vanderbilt two years ago.
“The loss to Vandy was probably one of the lower points as far as the guys were tired, the guys were physically beat up,” Smart said, recalling a 17-16 upset that occurred six days after the Bulldogs played at South Carolina in a game delayed by Hurricane Matthew.
“It was after the South Carolina Sunday game, (and) a lot of guys didn’t get the recovery,” Smart said. “We tried to go out and practice Monday which was probably an error on my part. We don’t look backwards now, we look forwards.”
Georgia is expected to get its offense on track against an overmatched Commodores’ team that has struggled against the run this season.
Georgia football-Vanderbilt details
• Time: The game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET Saturday
• Date: Oct. 6, 2018
• Location: Sanford Stadium, Athens, Ga.
• Weather forecast: An afternoon high of 91, 84 at kickoff, and a game-time low of 74.
DawgNation Georgia football coverage
• Watch: Brandon Adams and Jeff Sentell on the postgame show via DawgNation Facebook page.
How to watch Georgia-Vanderbilt on TV
The Georgia-Vanderbilt game will be televised on SEC Network. Tom Hart will handle the play-by-play call and Jordan Rodgers will provide analysis. Cole Cubelic is the sideline reporter.
How to stream Georgia-Vanderbilt football
The game can be streamed online at GTV on georgiadogs.com.
Where to find Georgia-Vanderbilt on radio
The game will be broadcast on WSB 95.5 FM, 750 AM, along with other Georgia Bulldog Sport Network (IMG) radio affiliates. Scott Howard is on the play-by-play call, Eric Zeier is the color analyst, and Chuck Dowdle is the sideline reporter.
Satellite radio for Georgia football vs. Vanderbilt
The game will be broadcast on Sirius and XM channel 81 (Georgia broadcast).
Georgia-Vanderbilt football game notes
• Georgia has two players from the state of Tennessee on their roster, Vanderbilt has 15.
• Georgia has 93 players on its roster from the state of Georgia, Vanderbilt has 11.
• The Bulldogs and Arkansas are the only two SEC teams to play first two league games on road.
• The Bulldogs have opened the scoring in all three SEC games with fumble returns or advancements for touchdowns.
• Georgia is averaging 43.2 points per game and is on pace to set the school record for scoring average held by the 2012 Bulldogs (37.8 ppg).
• The Bulldogs have won nine of their past 10 homecoming games, the loss coming to Vanderbilt in 2016 (17-16). The Commodores have been the opponent in four of those games.
Georgia football vs. Vanderbilt
- Where Georgia football needs to improve
- Bulldogs are ‘putting an emphasis on starting fast’
- Kirby Smart updates injuries for Vanderbilt week
- Georgia football trying to find its offensive identity
- The ‘plan’ is to play 2 QBs, and it’s a good one
- On the Beat: Bulldogs can’t afford slow starts
- Georgia a prohibitive favorite over Vanderbilt
- Podcast: Avoid enflaming QB controversy