Georgia football week 1 opponent for 2020 season announced
The Georgia Bulldogs begin fall practice on Monday. And they now know who they will open the 2020 season against on Sept. 26, as it was announced Georgia will play at Arkansas.
Georgia will learn the rest of its schedule at 7 p.m. on Monday night, as the league is set to unveil the entire schedule on the SEC Network.
The Razorbacks are led by former Georgia offensive line coach Sam Pittman, who took the job of replacing Chad Morris. The Razorbacks went 2-10 last season.
Other week 1 games for the 2020 SEC slate include Kentucky-Auburn and Tennessee-South Carolina.
🚨 WEEK 1 IN THE SEC 🚨 pic.twitter.com/Fn85XUvsih
— SEC Network (@SECNetwork) August 17, 2020
The Bulldogs will play a 10-game SEC only schedule this season due to COVID-19. The Bulldogs were initially set to start the season against Virginia on Sept. 7 in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. That game though was scrapped when the SEC went to a conference-only schedule.
While the full schedule for Georgia is not yet known, the Bulldogs do know all of their 2020 opponents. Georgia will host Tennessee, Auburn, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. The Bulldogs have road games against Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky and Missouri. The Bulldogs will play Florida in Jacksonville, Fla.
Every SEC team will have the week of Dec. 12 off so that the league can possibly move games to that date if a contest needs to be postponed. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has also said teams will have an off week at some point during the middle o the season.
The conference will still have divisions in 2020, with the winner of the SEC East and West meeting on Dec. 19 in Atlanta. The Bulldogs have won the SEC East in each of the past three seasons, though they are just 1-2 in the SEC championship game under Kirby Smart.
The Georgia head coach, entering his fifth season, spoke with reporters on Sunday to discuss some of the challenges with the upcoming 2020 season.
“Adaptability is one of the most important factors for the teams and the teams that handle it best will have an advantage,” Smart said. We always talk about our camp being about mental and physical toughness.”
“One of the most important things for this team is to mentally being able to handle change – and fast change. We’ve seen in the past five months things change, especially when you’re dealing with COVID.”
Georgia holds its first practice of the season today, but the Bulldogs won’t practice in full pads until the fifth practice. Among the many storylines to follow in the 25 practices leading up to the first game are how does the Georgia quarterback battle play out and what kind of impact Todd Monken has on the Georgia offense.
Georgia football 2020 Week 1 opponent:
Date: Sept. 26
Location: Fayetteville, Ark.,
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Teammates, Kirby Smart discuss what JT Daniels will bring to Georgia football quarterback battle
- Kirby Smart stresses depth, adaptability as Georgia football begins championship journey
- Georgia football injury report: Kirby Smart says Dominick Blaylock, JT Daniels not completely cleared
- Ranking Georgia’s possible first opponent from easiest to most difficult
- Kirby Smart: Georgia quarterback competition ‘part of the process’ for offense
- DN90: Former UGA RB Nick Chubb sets sights on major NFL accomplishment
- Georgia football coach Kirby Smart identifies offseason leaders
- Georgia AD ‘confidence level high’ for football season; Source shares keys
- Kelee Ringo injury another setback for talented Georgia football freshman class