Georgia football game recap: Bulldogs hold on to beat Notre Dame 23-17
ATHENS — Georgia football cleared a major hurdle Saturday night, overcoming Notre Dame in a prime-time matchup at Sanford Stadium.
The No. 3-ranked Georgia Bulldogs rallied against the No. 7-ranked Irish for a 23-17 win, coming back from a 10-7 halftime deficit.
Georgia didn’t take its first lead until the third quarter, but Notre Dame fought back late.
The Irish had one final shot in the final minute, but QB Ian Book threw incomplete on fourth down from the Bulldogs’ 37-yard line.
Here’s how the game broke down:
Georgia 23, Notre Dame 17 (3:12): Chase Claypool 4-yard pass from Ian Book (Jonathan Doerer kick). Drive: 10 plays, 75 yards, 3:42. Key play: Claypool 23-yard catch to Georgia 4-yard line.
Georgia 23, Notre Dame 10 (6:54): Rodrigo Blankenship 43-yard field goal. Drive: 7 plays, 41 yards, 4:17. Key play: Demetris Robertson 15-yard reception to Notre Dame 35-yard line.
Georgia 20, Notre Dame 10 (13:19): Lawrence Cager 15-yard pass from Jake Fromm (Rodrigo Blankenship kick). Drive: 8 plays, 82 yards, 3:59. Key play: Lawrence Cager 36-yard reception to Notre Dame 18-yard line.
Georgia 13, Notre Dame 10 (4:21): Rodrigo Blankenship 31-yard field goal. Drive: 7 plays, 53 yards, 2:36. Key play: Demetris Robertson 19-yard catch to Notre Dame 32-yard line.
Georgia 10, Notre Dame 10 (8:31): Rodrigo Blankenship 40-yard field goal. Drive: 4 plays, minus-1 yard, 1:27. Key play: Divaad Wilson interception returned to Notre Dame 22-yard line.
• Isaiah Wilson starts second half at right tackle
Notre Dame 10, Georgia 7
Key play: Tyler Simmons fumbled punt at UGA 8 leads to Irish TD.
Notre Dame 162 yards, Georgia 114 yards
Jake Fromm 11-12, 59 yards
D’Andre Swift 7 carries, 33 yards, TD
Ian Book 16-24, 146 yards, TD
Tony Jones 4 carries, 9 yards
Notre Dame 10, Georgia 7 (0:00): Jonathan Doerer 26-yard field goal. Drive: 8 plays, 66 yards, 2:27. Key play: Cole Kmet 28-yard catch to UGA 42.
Georgia 7, Notre Dame 7 (2:27): D’Andre Swift 3-yard run (Rodrigo Blankenship kick), Drive: 13 plays, 75 yards, 8:12. Key play: Eli Wolf 8-yard catch on third-and-6 to UGA 47.
• 4:53 Solomon Kindley (left knee) helped off field, Justin Shaffer replaces him a LG
Notre Dame 7, Georgia 0 (10:39): Cole Kmet 1-yard pass from Ian Book (Jonathan Doerer kick). Drive: 5 plays, 8 yards, 1:43. Key play: Tyler Simmons fumbles fair catch at UGA 8-yard line
• 12:22 Tyler Simmons fumbles fair catch
Notre Dame 81 yards, Georgia 34
Jake Fromm 6-7 for 16 yards
D’Andre Swift 2 carries, 6 yards
Ian Book 7-11 for 65 yards
Tony Jones 3 carries, 9 yards
• 6:47 Notre Dame QB Ian Book INC on fourth-and-2 after bad snap, change possession
• 14:25 Starting UGA cornerback Eric Stokes leaves game with right knee injury
• Receiver Demetris Robertson expected to play; Kearis Jackson (hand) and Tommy Bush (groin) expected out.
• NFL Hall of Famer and former UGA star Champ Bailey performs traditional “Calling The Dawgs”
• Jake Fromm, J.R. Reed and D’Andre Swift are team captains
• Notre Dame won the toss, elects to receive