Georgia players are thrilled that quarterback Stetson Bennett is back at UGA
Georgia signed 21 players on Wednesday. But none got quite a reaction like the one Stetson “The Mailman” Bennett did when he signed on Wednesday night.
A number of Georgia players, like Richard LeCounte and Jeremiah Holloman took to Twitter shortly after it was announced that Bennett had signed with Georgia.
— Jeremiah Holloman (@Obey_Classics) December 20, 2018
— ⁶Monty Rice (@RiceMonty) December 20, 2018
the DAMM 🐐 https://t.co/GaxVbDCIsl
— Brian Herrien (@brianherrienn) December 20, 2018
— Eric Stokes Jr (@_jamane_) December 20, 2018
— Richard LeCounte III (@LilEasy_35) December 20, 2018
There was also this tweet from Mecole Hardman when Bennett first announced he was transferring from Georgia.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 😩 https://t.co/ITQsIU9gBw
— Mecole Hardman Jr. (@MecoleHardman4) May 26, 2018
Bennett might need a new nickname given how much Georgia players seem to adore the former scout team quarterback. It was clear last year that the coaching staff really respected Bennett, as now former defensive coordinator Mel Tucker called him a “beast.”
Bennett spent this past season at Jones Community College leading the program to a 10-2 record. He completed 145 of his 259 passes for 1,840 yards with 16 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. That was good for a 56 percent completion rate.
With Bennett now in the fold, Georgia has signed two quarterbacks in Bennett and Dwan Mathis. The latter signed with Georgia this morning after flipping from Ohio State. Georgia also still holds a commitment from 4-star quarterback John Rhys Plumlee, though he will not sign during the early signing period.
Georgia has the No. 2 overall class in the country, led by its five 5-star commitments. The Bulldogs have 22 overall commitments. The early signing period comes to a close on Friday.
Below you can see some of the other big recruiting stories from the day.
Best stories from around DawgNation
- Top UGA target Trey Sanders has yet to be announced as Alabama signee
- Kirby Smart talks up Georgia engineering program on early signing day
- Kirby Smart: Georgia QB Justin Fields wants to play in Sugar Bowl while exploring transfer
- Early Signing Day: Projected Georgia football 2019 signees, commitments, live updates
- DN90: Father of UGA QB signee promises son won’t ‘be divisive or cause any problems’
- Georgia Bulldogs keep pace with Bama with some stellar recruiting and deft damage control
- Twitter reacts to Georgia landing 5-star linebacker Nakobe Dean
- BREAKING: Nation’s No. 1 ILB Nakobe Dean has made his college decision