ATHENS — If Georgia has its man at quarterback, or even a revised pecking order for the week, the team didn’t choose to reveal it during the media viewing period of practice.
During three periods early in practice, Jacob Eason, Greyson Lambert and Brice Ramsey were mixing up the order of reps.
There did appear to be an order during the play-polish drill, in which quarterbacks hand off to tailbacks: Eason, then Lambert, then Ramsey. It wasn’t clear if that was meant to be the order for the entire practice.
Head coach Kirby Smart said during a radio interview Monday night that the competition would likely be pared to two, in order “get the reps more focused.” He said he would speak to the quarterbacks before revealing anything publicly.
“We’re not ready to name a starter, but we’ve got to start focusing on the right guys getting the right reps,” Smart said during an interview on Athens AM 960 The Ref.
Eason received most of the first team snaps last week, which Smart said was an effort to catch him up to Lambert and Ramsey, who split most of the first teams during spring practice. It was about an equal split between the three during the first two weeks of preseason, which Smart said would no longer be occuring.
“We’re going to have to start getting more quality reps for guys, and getting the right ones,” Smart said. “It’s just a matter of how much. It won’t be one-third, one-third, one-third anymore.”
In other news:
- Freshman tailback Elijah Holyfield was working on an exercise bike. He sprained his right ankle during Saturday’s scrimmage, but Smart said Holyfield was aiming for a return by the end of the week.
- Junior nose tackle John Atkins was in a regular jersey for the first time since he hyperextended his knee two weeks ago.
- Redshirt freshman offensive lineman Sam Madden was not participating, running on the side in a black non-contact jersey.
- Senior Tyler Catalina was again working with the first team at left tackle, with Isaiah Wynn shifting to left guard.
- Sophomore cornerback Juwuan Briscoe remains in a black non-contact jersey, but continues to practice and run with the first team. Briscoe has been dealing with a shoulder injury.