LEXINGTON, Ky. – Georgia football clinched a return trip to the SEC Championship Game on Saturday with a 34-17 win over Kentucky at Kroger Field.
The No. 6-ranked Bulldogs (8-1, 6-1 SEC) overwhelmed the No. 9 Wildcats (7-2, 5-2) with a dominant rushing attack, putting the game out of reach in the third quarter when D’Andre Swift broke loose on an 83-yard TD run to make it 28-3.
Swift ran for 156 yards and 2 touchdowns, a career-high, and Elijah Holyfield also had his career best with 115 yards and another touchdown.
Kentucky entered the game tied with Clemson atop the nation in scoring defense, allowing 13 points per game, with no previous opponents scoring more than 20.
Quarterback Jake Fromm was 14-of-20 passing for 113 yards and a touchdown while the ground game was churning out 331 yards at an average of 6.6 per carry.
SEC leading rusher Benny Snell was held to 73 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries, his longest run 11 yards against a determined Georgia front.
Here are the scoring updates and key plays from the game:
– 1:30: Asim Rose fumbles while being tackled by Jonathan Ledbetter in the backfield. The ball is recovered Georgia’s Tyler Clark
Georgia 34, Kentucky 17 (3:32) – Rodrigo Blankenship 38-yard field goal. Drive: 10 plays, 54 yards, 5:29
Georgia 31, Kentucky 17 (9:01) – Terry Wilson 31-yard touchdown pass to Asim Rose (Poore kick). Drive: 7 plays, 75 yards, 2:43
– Wilson threw to Rose out of the backfield. Both Rose and Georgia linebacker Tae Crowder tipped the ball before it eventually fell in Rose’s hands around the 30-yard line. Rose then rumbled down the sideline for the score.
Georgia 31, Kentucky 10 (11:44) – Rodrigo Blankenship 18-yard field goal.
Georgia 28, Kentucky 10 (3:45) – Benny Snell 9-yard rushing touchdown (Poore kick). Drive: 9 plays, 75 yards, 4:11
– Kentucky center Bunchy Stallings was ejected after Snell’s touchdown following a 15-yard penalty for grabbing an official. He was the second Kentucky player ejected on Saturday.
Georgia 28, Kentucky 3 (7:56) – D’Andre Swift 83-yard rushing touchdown (Blankenship kick). Drive: 2 plays, 85 yards, 0:53
Georgia 21, Kentucky 3 (10:20) – Elijah Holyfield 4-yard rushing touchdown (Blankenship kick). Drive: 9 plays, 78 yards, 4:36
– Kentucky safety Darius West called for targeting after a rush by D’Andre Swift that gained no yards with 12:08 remaining in the quarter. The penalty was upheld upon review. West was ejected, and the penalty gave Georgia a first down at the Kentucky 14-yard line.
– Georgia drive ends at UK27 on fumbled exchange between Jake Fromm and D’Andre Swift with 15 seconds left in first half.
Georgia 14, Kentucky 3, (2:28): D’Andre Swift 20-yard run (Rodrigo Blankenship kick). Drive: 14 plays, 75 yards, 5:55. Big play: Jeremiah Holloman 4-yard catch from Jake Fromm on third-and-2 at Kentucky 17.
Georgia 7, Kentucky 3, (8:23): Chance Poore 34-yard field goal. Drive: 15 plays, 50 yards, 7:56. Key play: Channing Tindall sack of Terry Wilson on third-and-9 at Georgia 11.
– D’Andre Walker returns to game
– OLB D’Andre Walker leaves game at 10:31 mark
Georgia 7 Kentucky 0 (10:37): Isaac Nauta 4-yard pass from Jake Fromm (Rodrigo Blankenship kick). Drive: Four plays, 23 yards, 2:04. Big play: Mecole Hardman 65-yard punt return to UK 23.
– Center Lamont Gaillard leaves game at 10:51 mark, has wrap in his left knee on sideline
NextWATCH: Kirby Smart gets heated on headset after Georgia gets stuffed...