ATHENS —Georgia football took care of business against UMass on Saturday with a 66-27 victory that put a smile on Coach Kirby Smart’s face.
The Bulldogs’ head coach challenged his team to start fast and it responded, racing out to a 28-7 lead less than five minutes into the second quarter.
The Georgia rushing attack was unstoppable on the way to 426 yards on the night on 45 carries en route to 701 total yards. It was the second-most yards in program history behind a 713-yard performance against Florida Atlantic in 2012.
The Bulldogs split reps between quarterbacks Jake Fromm and Justin Fields through the first three quarters.
Fromm finished with 5-of-5 passing for 106 yards and a touchdown. Fields was 5-of-8 for 121 yards and 2 touchdowns, while also running for 100 yards and a touchdown.
Here are the key plays and updates from the game.
Georgia 66, UMass 27 (8:55): Ross Comis 45-yard touchdown pass to Andy Isabella. Drive: 4 plays, 75 yards, 1:55
Georgia 66, UMass 20 (10:50): James Cook 27-yard touchdown run (Blankenship kick). Drive: 6 plays, 75 yards, 4:10
– Third-stringer Matthew Downing in at quarterback for Georgia to start the fourth quarter.
Georgia 59, UMass 20 (0:00): Ross Comis 75-yard touchdown pass to Andy Isabella (Garcia kick). Drive: 1 play, 75 yards, 0:01
- After a touchback on the Georgia kickoff, UMass dialed up a trick play. Comis handed the ball off, then got it back on a lateral behind the line of scrimmage before launching the ball downfield for Isabella. Isabella broke a tackle and evaded multiple Georgia defenders on his way to the end zone.
Georgia 59, UMass 13 (0:01): Brian Herrien 6-yard touchdown run. Drive: 9 plays, 80 yards, 5:24
Georgia 52, UMass 13 (9:58): Rodrigo Blankenship 40-yard field goal. Drive: 4 plays, 7 yards, 1:23
Georgia 49, UMass 13 (12:38): James Cook 26-yard touchdown run. Drive: 4 plays, 66 yards, 2:05
Georgia 42, UMass 13 (0:00): Cooper Garcia 32-yard field goal; Drive: 9 plays, 60 yards, 2:22. Key play: Andy Isabella 13-yard pass from Ross Comis on fourth-and-1 at Georgia 40.
– Tyrique McGhee returns to game with hand wrapped
Georgia 42, UMass 10 (2:22): Mecole Hardman 57-yard pass from Justin Fields (Rodrigo Blankenship kick). Drive: 4 plays, 81 yards, 1:01.
Georgia 35, UMass 10 (6:13): Justin Fields 3-yard run (Rodrigo Blankenship kick). Drive: 3 plays, 72 yards, 1 minute. Key play: Isaac Nauta 54 yards pass from Fields to UMass 3-yard line.
– OLB Walter Grant limps off field after Mecole Hardman kick return
Georgia 28, UMass 10 (7:19): Cooper Garcia 34-yard field goal. Drive: 7 plays, 58 yards, 3:08. Key play: Brennon Dingle 32-yard run to UGA 33.
– Tyrique McGhee hand injury, 8:12 injury
Georgia 28, UMass 7 (10:30): Tyler Simmons 71-yard pass from Jake Fromm (Rodrigo Blankenship kick); Drive: 2 plays, 73 yards, 48 seconds.
Georgia 21, UMass 7 (13:55 ): Riley Ridley 11-yard pass from Justin Fields (Rodrigo Blankenship kick); Drive: 7 plays, 80 yards, 2:57. Key play: Fields 47-yard run to UMass 20.
– Justin Fields in the game at 1:51 mark, first-and-10 at UGA 20 after kick return
Georgia 14, UMass 7 (1:59): Marquis Young 7-yard run (Cooper Garcia kick). Drive: 4 plays, 16 yards, 2:10. Key play: Terry Godwin fumbled punt at UGA 16.
Georgia 14, UMass 0 (6:24): Elijah Holyfield 5-yard run (Rodrigo Blankenship kick); Drive: 10 plays, 68 yards, 4:48. Key play: Holyfield 15-yard run to UMass 5-yard line.
Georgia 7, UMass 0 (13:01): Tyler Simmons 49-yard run (Rodrigo Blankenship kick); Drive: 3 plays, 66 yards, 0:57.
– Georgia inside linebacker Monty Rice spotted with a boot on his lower left leg. Rice overcame a sprained knee earlier this season, so this injury comes as a surprise.
– Trey Hill starts at right guard for Georgia; Elijah Holyfield starts at running back.
UMass wins toss, asks to receive.
More DawgNation stories