Welcome to your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes every Monday through Friday. Today, we look into how Georgia’s 2019 recruiting class came alive during the weekend. Also, Greyson Lambert is trying to become the next Tim Tebow and taking a last look at what the media said about the Bulldogs at SEC Media Days.
The 2019 recruiting class gets 2 big boosts
Georgia and coach Kirby Smart had quite the weekend on the recruiting trail, specifically with the 2019 class. As mentioned on Friday, a number of 5-star prospects and high targets were in Athens over the weekend. On Saturday, the Bulldogs reeled in a commitment from 2019 linebacker JD Bertrand. On Sunday, 5-star wide receiver Dominick Blaylock announced his pledge to the Bulldogs.
The pair have actually been friends for some time, as Rusty Mansell of 247Sports unearthed a great photo of the pair when they were kids. Blaylock actually wanted to commit with Bertrand on Saturday, but he was with his high school team in Alabama on Saturday and had to wait an extra day.
— Rusty Mansell (@Mansell247) July 17, 2017
The Bulldogs now have the No. 2 recruiting class in the 2019 cycle just behind Florida. But if Blaylock is able to convince a few more of his friends to come with him to Athens, specifically 4-star tight end Ryland Goede and 5-star defensive end Christopher Hinton, the Bulldogs have a very real shot at bringing home Georgia’s top class for 2019.
One last thing on Dominick Blaylock
I caught up with Blaylock’s stepfather on Sunday and talked about a variety of topics with him. You can read that story in full here. With Blaylock now in tow, the Bulldogs have the No. 1 and No. 2 wide receivers in the 2019 class in Blaylock and Jadon Haselwood. Both are 5-star recruits. Georgia hasn’t signed a 5-star wide receiver since Marlon Brown back in 2009 (Terry Godwin was an athlete when he signed with the Bulldogs in 2015.).
And yes, Blaylock is the biological son of former NBA All-Star Mookie Blaylock. And for those who don’t know, Mookie Blaylock was the name of the band Pearl Jam before it changed its name. When Dominick scores touchdowns for the Bulldogs, it would be pretty sweet to hear Sanford Stadium blasting one of Pearl Jam’s hits such as Even Flow or Black.
Greyson Lambert doing his best Tim Tebow impression
You also might have missed it, but Georgia’s former quarterback, Lambert, now is a minor league baseball player. It was announced over the weekend that he had agreed to a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers.
Hopefully, Lambert does better than Tebow, who was hitting .220 before being promoted because he sells tickets and draws attention. It’s worth mentioning that Lambert hasn’t played baseball since he was back in high school, but if Tebow can do it, then why can’t Lambert? In his time as a starter, Lambert went 10-3 over two seasons before losing the starting job to Jacob Eason.
Back to media days
It seems like forever ago, but we never got the chance to talk about what the media thought of Georgia. The Bulldogs were picked to finish first in the SEC East, narrowly edging out Florida. Of course, Alabama was the overwhelming pick to win the SEC West and the conference as a whole.
As for the players, Nick Chubb, Isaac Nauta, Trent Thompson and Roquan Smith all made the first team, and there’s little argument that any of them shouldn’t be on there. Isaiah Wynn and Dominick Sanders made the second team, while Lorenzo Carter and Sony Michel were selected to the third team.
- Georgia’s 1980 team plans veiwing party for Notre Dame game (Chip Towers, DawgNation)
- Georgia RB Elijah Holyfield to enter pretrial program for marijuana arrest (Rolando Rosa, DawgNation)
- O-line must come through for Dogs to meet expectations (Chip Towers, DawgNation)
- Georgia lands commitment from 2019 linebacker JD Bertrand (Connor Riley, DawgNation)
- UGA should do more to celebrate its heroes, starting with Herschel Walker (Bill King, DawgNation)
- A letter from a former Georgia letterman concerned about the state of UGA athletics (Seth Emerson, DawgNation)
- Social media thrilled with Georgia’s addition of 5-star WR Dominick Blaylock (Connor Riley, DawgNation)
- UGA to host open practice, Fan Day in August (Nicole Saavedra, Athens Banner-Herald)
- Chubb, Michel team up one last time for final season at Georgia (Jason Butt, The Telegraph)
- Roquan Smith garners high expectations, bold comparison ahead of junior season (Brandon Sudge, The Telegraph)
- Watch: UGA sets itself apart with ‘The Georgia Way’ (Jake Rowe, Dawgs247)
Dawgs on Twitter
Needless to say, the Georgia coaching staff was pretty pumped up about the additions of Blaylock and Bertrand.
Great finish to the weekend! More Georgia Boys staying HOME. Go Dawgs! #K9Teen
— Coach Kirby Smart (@KirbySmartUGA) July 16, 2017
— Glenn Schumann (@CoachSchuUGA) July 16, 2017
— James Coley (@CoachColey) July 16, 2017
Look at this little fur ball of joy.
Here is a pupper approaching maximum borkdrive. Zooming at never before seen speeds. 14/10 paw-inspiring af
(IG: puffie_the_chow) pic.twitter.com/ghXBIIeQZF
— WeRateDogs™ (@dog_rates) July 2, 2017