ATHENS — Georgia senior receiver Justin Scott-Wesley had to leave Monday’s practice after hurting his right knee. The severity of the injury was not immediately apparent.
Scott-Wesley fell to the ground while in the middle of a route during drills. He got up in pain and walked over to the fence, where he was met by a trainer. Scott-Wesley walked off the field on his own power, accompanied by the trainer.
Any knee injury, minor or major, will be a worry for Scott-Wesley, who tore his ACL in October of 2013, and had arthroscopic knee surgery in early July. He returned in time for the start of preseason practice on Aug. 4, and in fact had been practicing without limitations.
Some more notes from the media viewing period of practice:
– Sophomore receiver/kick returner Isaiah McKenzie remains out with a hamstring injury, and inside linebacker Tim Kimbrough remains out with a knee injury. Both are expected back in time for the season, and McKenzie probably well before that.
– Senior fullback Quayvon Hicks was not seen. Neither was starter Christian Payne, who suffered a cracked fibula last Friday and is expected to miss the start of the season. The reason for Hicks’ absence was unknown. Monday was the start of classes at UGA, so an absence, especially early in practice, may not always mean injury.
– Freshman defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter was again absent from practice. He has been out a week with an unknown injury.
– Senior defensive back Kennar Daniels-Johnson was again absent, as he has been for about a week.
– Sophomore defensive back Aaron Davis was practicing in a green non-contact jersey. His left hand was wrapped. (Davis was also working with the safeties.)
– Dyshon Sims, the sophomore offensive lineman, has returned to practice in a green jersey, but was participating.
– Junior walk-on receiver Charlie Hegedus was also in a green jersey but was not participating in early drills.
– The order of the quarterbacks, for what it’s worth: Brice Ramsey, Greyson Lambert, Faton Bauta.
Walk-on Sam Vaughn has now rejoined the team, as the first day of classes marks the expansion of the roster to 125.