The simple reason Mykel Williams will be ‘a great, dominant player’ for Georgia football defensive line
ATHENS — With Jalen Carter off to the NFL, Georgia is in need of a new game-wrecking defensive lineman. The defensive line figures to once again be a strength for Georgia, though at the moment it’s due to depth than obvious outstanding performers.
“Throughout the years that Coach Smart has been here, he’s built that culture of next guy up no matter if a guy leaves or if a guy gets injured, if you’re out there on that field, you’re a starter,” Zion Logue said. “So we’ve just got to find that next piece.”
Georgia is going to ask Williams to do more, not just as a pass rusher but also in the room game. Stackhouse is quick to point out that stopping the run is the most important thing to the Georgia defensive front. The Bulldogs ranked first in the country in rush defense last season.
That being said, defensive line coach Tray Scott has also spent the spring trying to turn Georgia’s defensive line into players who are elite at stopping the run and taking down the quarterback.
“I just see a lot of guys, like, stepping up, just accepting their new roles on the team knowing that, you know, Jalen Carter leaving just opened up a bigger spot for other guys to showcase their talents and show they can provide for us to win games and stuff like that,” Stackhouse said.
Williams won’t be the only player Georgia tasks with replacing Carter. Stackhouse, Logue, Tramel Walthour and Warren Brinson are all capable veterans. Sophomore Bear Alexander has similar promise as Williams and freshman Jordan Hall has quickly impressed his teammates.
Among all of Georgia’s options though, Williams has the most upside. He’s come a long way from where he was as a wide-eyed freshman a season ago.
A potentially terrifying thought given how Williams played for Georgia last season.
“He can play JACK, and him transitioning from high school, you couldn’t really see it that different because he plays really hard,” Stackhouse said. “He played really hard at high school. He’s playing really hard now, and it’s just going to be exciting to watch his future with Georgia football.”
Mykel Williams impressing Georgia football teammates in second season
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Arian Smith shares sage advice for Kendall Milton, other injured Georgia Bulldogs
- Nazir Stackhouse: Georgia star Jalen Carter will prove teams wrong that pass on him in 2023 NFL Draft
- Georgia football will quickly learn what it has in ‘exciting’ freshman Roderick Robinson
- 3 questions about UGA RBs after Kendall Milton’s injury
- Georgia tailback Kendall Milton limited by hamstring injury, RB room lacking depth
- David Sanders Jr: Nation’s No. 1 junior felt ‘loved and honored’ by Georgia football along visit
- How Georgia football veterans look to go from good to great during spring practice
- ESPN says South Carolina game will be ‘Georgia’s first real test’ in 2023
- Examining the state of the Georgia football-Auburn rivalry as SEC schedule change looms
- WATCH: Georgia football helps move Troy Bowles, other 2023 signees into dorms
- Georgia football game times, TV networks announced for UT-Martin, Ball State games
- Kirby Smart explains how NIL has ‘put a premium’ on a specific type of recruit for Georgia