The Pac-12 joined the Big Ten on Tuesday in cancelling its fall sports, taking the extra step of declaring sports finished through the calendar year.
The Pac-12’s official release stated the decision came by way of a unanimous vote after consultation with the league’s COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee.
The Pac-12 says that student-athletes impacted by its decision will have their scholarships guaranteed, and the league will encourage the NCAA to grant an additional year of eligibility.
“Unlike professional sports, college sports cannot operate in a bubble,” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said in the release.
“Our athletic programs are part of a broader campuses in communities where many cases the prevalence of COVID-19 is significant.”
A group of Pac-12 players made demands on the league earlier this offseason, threatening to boycott practices and games if their demands were not met.
In addition to expressing concerns about the health risks related to COVID-19, the players demanded a revenue-sharing plan in which 50 percent of the sports revenue would be distributed to athletes.
Scott met with the Pac-12 athletes last week about their demands via Zoom video conference call, but it did not go as well as hoped.
“He boasted how progressive the conference has been in giving the players a voice, but the way he treated us didn’t reflect that,” UCLA defensive tackle Otito Ogbonnia told MSN. “I don’t think he thought of us as people who were making a legitimate case.”
Published reports have indicated Scott has fallen out of favor with Pac-12 administrators, and could be pushed out of the position he has held since 2009.
College football crisis coverage