ATHENS — Some quick observations from Tuesday’s weather-interrupted practice, number 14 of the preseason.
- Senior safety Quincy Mauger was back in a walking boot and not participating. Mauger was in a walking boot on Sunday, but then was practicing on during the media observation period on Monday. He was on an exercise bike during the media viewing period of Tuesday’s practice.
- Freshman tight end Charlie Woerner was working out alongside Mauger and also not participating in the practice. He, too, is battling some sort of lower-leg injury.
- Georgia has welcomed yet another transfer onto its roster. However, this one is not from Alabama. Daniel Harper, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound redshirt sophomore, comes to UGA from Georgia State. He was working with the outside linebackers on Tuesday. He played his high school ball at Lakeside in Atlanta.
- Maurice Smith continues to work without full pads. Tuesday is the last of the mandatory, three-day acclimation period required by the NCAA.
- Cornerback Juwuan Briscoe and linebacker Juwan Taylor remained in black, non-contact jerseys. Defensive tackle John Atkins, who is recovering from a hyper-extended knee, also was not present. But that could be because he was celebrating the birth of a baby boy.
- Tuesday’s practice was interrupted for about 30 minutes when a lightning strike hit close to the Club Sports complex. The Bulldogs picked up where they left off and continued their drills in a soft rain,