Robert Beal, the junior defensive end from Norcross High School, is already being compared to UGA star Lorenzo Carter. The SEC standout defensive end also played at that Gwinnett County school.
That’s a comparison made by many, but Beal said he’s even had a college recruiter say he already has an “NFL body.” The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder is rated the No. 3 weak-side defensive end in the nation for the Class of 2017.
The 4-star prospect has been timed as low as 4.61 seconds in the 40-yard dash and his teammates call him “Big Bob” and Robert “The Real Deal” Beal around school.
College recruiters just call him all the time. Beal said he received more than 100 pieces of mail in one day from UGA this year. That effort was later topped when Notre Dame shipped him 129 letters in one day.
His father Robert Beal, Sr. said his son averages right about 20 pieces of recruiting mail per day.
“We just put it all up in a box,” Beal said.
Beal spoke to the AJC’s DawgNation.com for a few minutes after his team’s 38-10 win against North Gwinnett. Check out the video interview above for his answers to these questions:
- What does his plan to study in college?
- Which school is recruiting him the hardest right now?
- What game will he go to on Saturday afternoon? Is it UGA-Alabama or Clemson-Notre Dame?
- Which school is recruiting him the hardest?
- What are his goals for his junior season?
- What is he looking for in a fit at the next level?
Jeff Sentell covers UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges.