Amarius Mims: How close is that relationship with 5-star QB Brock Vandagriff?
Want to attack every day with the latest UGA football recruiting info? That’s what the Intel brings. This entry is about all things Amarius Mims and Brock Vandagriff. What type of relationship does Georgia’s 5-star QB commit really have with the giant 5-star OT? That’s what we are serving up with this Intel drip on DawgNation.
Amarius Mims and Brock Vandagriff. There’s a story or two to share here.
Those 5-star prospects in the 2021 class seem to fit the modern Southern gentleman’s high school definition of friendship to a tee. They are after all friends on every social platform. They have gone on some college recruiting visits together and that’s not nearly as memorable as the multiple fishing trips they have taken together.
These two dues even pose for pictures together in downtown Athens.
Mims says he’s the better angler. That’s despite a lot more visual evidence hanging from Vandagriff’s reels.
These two are clearly more than Instagram friends here. So much that Mims recently told DawgNation that Vandagriff will likely know his college decision before any other coach or recruiter.
“I feel like he will be the first one to know,” Mims said.
Will he know before the coaches of his future college team?
“Probably yeah,” Mims said. “I mean that’s my guy. It might even go down where I will be blocking for him. So I will have to let him know.”
Why has he earned that?
“Brock and I man ooh we go way back,” Mims said. “Brock is my guy. We talk about everything recruiting wise. Even if it is not Georgia, we still talk. Because we just have that relationship. With Brock and I, it is definitely more than football. We talk all the time. We are texting right now.”
“We text about fishing and anything and everything.”
But Vandagriff doesn’t miss his mark on bringing up all things Bulldog.
“He definitely is recruiting. me,” Mims said. “He wants me to come block for him. We have built a relationship where we have gotten close.”
The two are often chatting about fishing. Mims even brought up a thought about a dog. That came in his reply to a thought about what Vandagriff’s reaction might be if he didn’t wind up coming to block for him at UGA.
“Aw man it would be like somebody has done killed his dog,” Vandagriff said. “It wouldn’t be good but I feel like he will support me either way.”
Mims is a strong communicator, but he also has posted four different pics with Vandagriff on his Instagram account. That’s pretty sound evidence that he’s not telling a fish story when it comes to how well they know one another.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Amarius Mims: The other UGA player relationships to pay attention to
Vandagriff is his guy in the 2021 class. That’s who he really knows. It was interesting to learn that Georgia freshman Darnell Washington is his best relationship on the current roster.
When he thinks of Georgia, the concepts that readily come to mind will be the atmosphere in Athens and the relationships across the team.
“I feel like home there [at Georgia] too because I’ve been there so many times,” Mims said.
He does keep up a connection with Washington. The former 5-star TE from Nevada is potentially the only Bulldog on the team who can see eye-to-eye with the 6-foot-8 Mims.
“I’m cool with Darnell Washington,” he said. “We talk like pretty often. Every week mainly. [Georgia freshman OT] Tate Ratledge and I used to talk a lot. Other than that, [freshman OT) Chad Lindberg and I talked for a good bit. I also talked to Austin Blaske the other guy from South Effingham who committed. So I talk to a lot of guys.”
“But other than that Darnell Washington and I talk the most out of the 2020 class.”
Who’s taller? Amarius or Darnell? Do they have that discussion?
“I’m taller than him,” Mims said. “He is not going to admit that I am taller than him, though. I’m taller than him.”
(the recent reads on DawgNation.com)
- De’Jahn “Nugget” Warren shares why UGA sits snug among his top 3
- BREAKING: 3-star OG Jared Wilson flips back into the 2021 class at UGA
- PHOTOS: Check out 6-foot-8 Amarius Mims in action at practice
- Amarius Mims: The 8 things to know right now about the 5-star and his recruiting
- 5-star junior QB Gunner Stockton announces he is down to two schools
- New offer to 6-foot-6 TE Pearce Spurlin III says something about future of the position
- WATCH: Georgia legacy Justin Benton explains why Georgia is “home”
- Elite CB target Nyland Green lays out his current decision plans
- BREAKING: Explosive 2022 ATH CJ Washington commits to his dream school UGA
- Stunning heartfelt commitment from 5-star ATH James Williams ends his process
- Georgia DT pledge Marlin Dean reopens his recruiting
- Jamon Dumas-Johnson: Why he is his brother’s keeper. All six of them
- What do we really know about reports of a recent Broderick Jones injury?
- BREAKING: Tennessee WR Adonai Mitchell has made his college decision
- Brock Bowers: Nation’s No. 3 TE feels ‘Athens in different’ after an improvised trip