The most recent installment of DawgNation’s “Before the Hedges” weekly live recruiting program saw an update for a name on Georgia’s “Top Targets” for the 2021 class.
It had a bit to do with the NFL Draft and how it viewed former Clemson All-American Isaiah Simmons. When it comes to a player like Simmons, there are a couple of targets in the 2021 cycle who certainly fit that new hybrid “Defensive Athlete” position that is en vogue at the moment.
James Williams, a 5-star safety prospect out of South Florida, is another one of those “positionless” athletes for the defensive side of the ball. He can play deep, he can shadow receivers coming over the middle and he can play in the box or even out on the edge against tempo offenses.
The 6-foot-4.5 rising senior ranks as the nation’s No. 1 safety on the 247Sports Composite. That will slot Williams as the nation’s No. 11 overall prospect for this cycle.
He recently established a top three earlier this year with Alabama, Clemson and Georgia.
This week’s “Hedges” program saw Williams rise on that “Top Targets” list for the last week.
Check out the first seven names on that list:
DAWGNATION “BEFORE THE HEDGES”
- 7. 4-star WR Deion Colzie/Athens Academy/Athens, Ga.
- 6. 4-star ILB Smael Mondon Jr./Paulding County/Dallas, Ga.
- 5. 4-star RB Donovan Edwards/West Bloomfield/West Bloomfield, Mich.
- 4. 4-star ILB Barrett Carter/North Gwinnett/Suwanee, Ga.
- 3. 5-star OT Amarius Mims/Bleckley County/Cochran, Ga.
- 2. 5-star S James Williams/American Heritage/Plantation, Fla.
- 1. 5-star CB Tony Grimes/Princess Anne/Virginia Beach, Va.
The full “Hedges” episode appears below.
Did you see the previous week’s episode with recent UGA commitment Elijah Jeudy and his family? That will also appear below.
(the recent reads on DawgNation.com)
- Why O-line target Noah Josey goes a long way back with Georgia’s Matt Luke
- Dallas Turner: Why Alabama has a slight lead on UGA for the elite pass rusher
- Georgia’s program is now moving past the de-commitments of previous cycles
- Why Andrew Thomas is more than ready for New York’s big stage
- Nation’s No. 4 TE Moliki Matavao includes UGA in his final six
- Georgia extends an impactful offer to future 5-star RB Richard Young
- The 5 things you haven’t read yet about recent OLB commit Elijah Jeudy
- What the O-line recruiting looks like for the 2021 class
- Georgia OL commit Micah Morris made a silent pledge to UGA quite a long time ago
- 4-star OLB Elijah Jeudy makes his college decision
- Hard to believe that #93KDay was already four years ago
- Jermaine Burton: Why coming home meant everything to Georgia’s next great WR