Randrecous Davis has a red “G” tattoo on his left bicep and is committed to UGA. The 3-star wide receiver is a lightning bolt in space at a position that needs the upgrade his skills bring to the field. Is UGA committed to him, though? That’s a good question.
Davis told DawgNation he’s 75 percent committed to UGA now. The other 25 percent would be to former UGA coach Mark Richt’s new team in Miami.
He tweeted out “UGA or Miami?” on Saturday morning. He’d yet to hear from UGA in 2016, but got a message from new UGA running backs coach Dell McGee later that day.
McGee wanted to see if Davis was still strong with UGA. He actually has UGA’s best relationship with Davis at this time. McGee had been recruiting him to join Georgia Southern before he was hired by UGA.
To recap, that’s the only time that Davis has heard from UGA in 2016.
What about Miami? Davis said he has heard from Richt and former UGA assistant Thomas Brown “four or five times already” in the new year. Combine that with slight communication from UGA and there’s no wonder why he is looking around.
Davis has scheduled an official visit to Miami for Jan. 22. He has yet to schedule his official to UGA because he has not spoken to anyone on the staff to set it up. The Mays High School standout has been to two college games in his life. Both were at UGA this season. He also sports a red Georgia “G” tattoo on his bicep.
“I’m pretty much still strong with UGA,” Davis said. “That’s a school I pretty much want to go to. … My cousin (early enrollee ) Julian Rochester is down there. (Rising sophomore linebacker) Natrez Patrick is there from my high school. There’s a lot of players I’d like to play with I’ve met through this process that are committed to UGA. We’ve got a great class coming in. I want to be a part of it.”
But then came the “but” in the middle of that statement.
“But it is kind of UGA and the SEC and that’s a run-heavy and run-first league,” Davis said. “I want to be where I could put up the big numbers to get to the NFL.”
Richt’s staff at Miami will also no doubt emphasize the run, but Davis shared the opinion that Atlantic Coast Conference defenses would yield bigger stat lines than their peers in the SEC.
Davis is rated by the 247sports composite as the nation’s No. 68 receiver and the No. 35 player in Georgia for 2016. His 247sports profile page lists five SEC offers, including Alabama and Florida.
The big question is this: Does the staff at UGA want him as much as the one he committed to?
“You see that is an answer I do not know,” Davis said. “I feel they still want me. They did reach out to me once. I talked to Coach Smart when he was going out to visit Jacob Eason in Washington. I talked to him then. I talked to Coach Brown when he was still on the staff.”
Davis said new UGA offensive coordinator Jim Chaney told him to call. He did so, but said Chaney could not take his call. He also hasn’t heard from James Coley — the new receivers coach — up to this point.
“He tried to reach me on Twitter but I’m really not sure,” Davis said. “I’m really not sure about all of UGA’s new staff yet.”
Davis feels if he says he’ll visit other programs, it will trigger UGA to show its hand.
“I feel I’m going to stay at UGA,” Davis said. “I want to see where the coaches at UGA are at with me now. I’m going to try to contact them. I just want to know I’m still favored by the staff and will get a lot of playing time.”
Jeff Sentell covers UGA football and UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges.