ATHENS — Akinola Ogunbiyi visited Georgia during the first week of April. He took an official visit to Oklahoma last weekend.
When he did, he wasn’t sure if he needed to take an official visit to Georgia to figure out anything else about the school.
That statement he gave DawgNation could have very well meant something very positive. Or not.
It is probably pertinent to this narrative to simply cite the track record of Georgia line coach Sam Pittman when it comes to these matters.
The next development was that Ogunbiyi wound up taking a surprise official visit over the weekend for G-Day. If anyone saw him around the sidelines at G-Day, it wasn’t hard to figure what the next line of this story is about to say.
Ogunbiyi made the decision to commit to Georgia on Saturday.
— AKI® (@AkinolaOgunbiyi) April 20, 2019
That decision came while he was still in the midst of his official visit. It came after he updated the header to his Twitter with a visual of all the marquee official visitors and other elite recruits in Sanford Stadium on Saturday.
The 6-foot-4, 330-pound interior OL out of Kempner High in Texas rates as the nation’s No. 12 OG for this cycle on the 247Sports Composite ratings. He was also seriously considering Oklahoma and was at one time committed to Texas A&M.
“I think the biggest thing I like about Georgia is coach Pittman,” he said earlier this month. “I want to play with a coach that I can laugh with but then at the same time knows when it is time to get serious. But then he’s not always serious. You know what I mean?”
He becomes the seventh commitment of the 2020 class for the Bulldogs. That makes the second commitment for the Bulldogs of G-Day week. Texas 4-star CB Jalen Kimber also chose Georgia earlier this week.
That moves the Bulldogs to No. 7 nationally in the 247Sports Team Composite ratings for the 2020 cycle.
The things to know about Akinola Ogunbiyi
This was another clear win for the recruiting style of Sam Pittman. Ogunbiyi had Georgia very high on his list over the last few months despite never taking a trip to check out UGA.
Great day to be a Dawg pic.twitter.com/atbqLsIrae
— Coach Sam Pittman (@CoachSamPittman) April 20, 2019
He has now done so on two separate occasions this month. It was enough.
What else does DawgNation need to know about Ogunbiyi?
- Has an 80-plus inch wingspan
- Considers Georgia to be one of his top schools with local heavyweights like LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M even though he’s yet to visit Athens.
- Was at one time committed to Texas A&M despite just starting to play football in 2016. He did not play any sports until his freshman year of high school.
- Cites two favorite songs: “Escape” by Rupert Holmes and “Hooked on a Feeling” by Blue Swede.
- Doesn’t have any pass protection film clips on his tape because his school threw the ball maybe three times last fall.
- When he visited UGA earlier this month, he did an acapella duet with Georgia line coach Sam Pittman. It was “Escape” by Rupert Holmes.
- His first name has a silent “n” as in “Ah-Key-Ola” and his last name is “Oh-Gun-Bee” …. if your name is Brandon Adams and you host a show called “DawgNation Daily” for DawgNation.com.
- Was born in America but has also lived in Chicago, London and Nigeria as a youth.