The lull in the recruiting cycle for Georgia’s 2021 recruiting class is no more. The UGA class count is now up to eight after the commitment of in-state OLB Chaz Chambliss to the class on Tuesday morning.
The Bulldogs picked up three commitments back in April, but his decision marks the first new public pledge to the Georgia class since April 19.
The Carrollton High School senior is known as a big thumper on the field. The 6-foot-3 Max Preps Junior All-American knows how to throw his 243 pounds around as an enforcer on the field.
The 4-star prospect lined up at linebacker and as a strong-side defensive end during his junior season for the Trojans. He was credited with 25.5 tackles for losses and 15 sacks in 2019.
Chambliss, who ranks as the nation’s No. 18 OLB and No. 255 overall prospect on the 247Sports Composite, shared his decision to commit to Georgia in a commitment video release from his Twitter account.
The future SAM linebacker for Bulldogs is a man of very few words and he conveyed the decision commit to Georgia with a clip of a weight room bathed in red light with smoke being pumped in as an effect.
— Chaz Chambliss (@ChazChambliss) May 26, 2020
He just put on a black Georgia camp and that was it. He was repping off some power cleans and put the hat on and pulled it down over his eyes. There was a brief smile.
It was exactly the way that Chambliss would have been expected to make his commitment decision known.
Chambliss is now the second OLB prospect to join the 2021 Georgia class. The 243-pound thumper also becomes the program’s seventh in-state recruit in the 2021 class. Pennsylvania OLB Elijah Jeudy is the lone exception.
That list of in-state commitments does also include 4-star RB Lovasea Carroll. While Carroll plays high school football for boarding school power IMG Academy in Florida, he grew up in Warren County near Augusta. Carroll has returned to his Georgia home during the global pandemic over the last few months and he still plans to return to IMG Academy for his senior season.
Check out the junior highlight film for Chambliss below.
The decision made by Chambliss now moves the Bulldogs up to No. 16 on the 247Sports Team Composite rankings for the 2021 cycle. The teams that are in the top 10 of those rankings all have at least 12 commitments at this time. Look for Georgia to continue to rise on this listing here over the next three to four weeks.
Chambliss has looked like a grown man for several varsity seasons now.
Check out this picture of Chambliss from June of 2017. He already resembled a well-developed high school junior or senior with SEC offers. Not a rising freshman set to take on his first season of varsity football.
5-star QB commitment Brock Vandagriff was quite happy to see the decision made by Chambliss.
— brock 🌊 (@BrockVandagriff) May 26, 2020
(the recent reads on DawgNation.com)
- Taking a deep dive at how well Georgia has been recruiting Metro Atlanta of late
- Elite 2022 defensive athlete Daniel Martin already has a “family” feel at UGA
- HEDGES: The rival national programs between UGA and another No. 1 class
- Brock Bowers: Nation’s No. 3 TE knows what he needs to do before his college decision
- De’Jahn Warren: The “nugget” for the nation’s No. 1 JUCO prospect with UGA
- Elite cornerback Marquise Groves-Killebrew is a “No. 1 priority” for 2022
- Decrypting that recent tweet from 5-star LB Smael Mondon Jr.
- Prince Kollie: The ILB target who had 1,085 yards as a receiver in 2019
- Lovasea Carroll: DawgNation goes one-on-one with the 2021 RB commit
- Dylan Fairchild: Elite O-line target includes UGA among his top six schools
- What exactly are these virtual recruiting visits like right now?