Marlin Dean appears to have some more thinking to do regarding his college decision. The 3-star DT prospect from Elbert County in Northeast Georgia is no longer committed to playing for the Bulldogs.
Dean shared that decision on Saturday afternoon from his Twitter account. He announced that he was de-committing from Georgia.
I want to thank the university of Georgia for giving me the opportunity to play at a high level but after having a sit down with family this was the best decision for me.I have decided to decommit an open my recruitment!!!!GO DOGS 🤟🏾🔴⚫️🐶
— Marlin Dean (@MarlinDean5) July 18, 2020
The 6-foot-5, 265-pound defensive tackle had committed to Georgia back during the basketball season. He told DawgNation he told the staff he was coming on the night the Bulldogs faced Florida on the hardwood.
Now, he’s no longer so certain. Dean’s decision now drops the Bulldogs down to 10 commitments for the 2021 cycle. He had been the only commitment with a 3-star ranking for Georgia so far in 2021.
He will now reopen his recruitment. It will certainly be harder to do that during the global pandemic.
When he chose the Bulldogs, he did so a day after sharing a top 11. The next day, he committed to UGA. When he did, he said that Tennessee came in second behind the Bulldogs. Penn State was actually the third school on his mind after those SEC East rivals.
Douglas County senior Jonathan Jefferson is now the only interior defensive line commitment for Georgia in the 2021 class at this time. The Bulldogs are still pursuing several defensive tackle prospects in the 2021 class, including South Carolina 4-star DT Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins, 4-star Auburn DT commitment Lee Hunter and 5-star Louisiana DT Maason Smith.
It will be especially tough for the Bulldogs to pry Smith away from the home state LSU Tigers, but that hasn’t stopped the staff from giving it its best efforts up to this point.
(the recent reads on DawgNation.com)
- Jamon Dumas-Johnson: Why he is his brother’s keeper. All six of them
- Amarius Mims: Bulldogs made the final six for the 5-star Georgia OT
- What do we really know about reports of a recent Broderick Jones injury?
- BREAKING: Tennessee WR Adonai Mitchell has made his college decision
- Brock Bowers: Nation’s No. 3 TE feels ‘Athens in different’ after improvised trip
- Georgia football: How is the in-state recruiting for 2021 coming along?
- Tralee Hale: The mother of freshman CB Kelee Ringo finds she is not alone in her cancer fight
- HEDGES: 3 ways the lack of campus recruiting visits have also helped UGA
- CJ Washington: The electric 2022 LB prospect drops UGA into his top 3
- Where does Georgia turn now at CB after Tony Grimes in the 2021 recruiting class?
- Class of 2022 ATH Malaki Starks could be a future class anchor at UGA
- 6-foot-7 sophomore OT Payton Kirkland shares why UGA is his dream school
- Andrew Thomas says to expect a lot of pancakes from Jamaree Salyer in 2020
- Why Malcolm “The Jet” Johnson Jr. and his 10.38 speed is giving UGA a good look
- Georgia RB commit Lovasea’ Carroll shuts down all talk of a Florida flip
- HEDGES: Who’s the best QB on the board in the class of 2022?
- MJ Morris: New Georgia coordinator Todd Monken has made him a priority
- WATCH: Georgia commit Chaz Chambliss shows he has a bright future at OLB