The nation’s No. 1 receiver for the Class of 2016 decided not to commit to Kirby Smart for the second time.
Savannah Christian senior receiver Demetris Robertson chose California over UGA and Notre Dame on Sunday during an announcement ceremony from the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta. He was previously committed to Alabama when Smart was the defensive coordinator for the Crimson Tide.
Robertson was the lone remaining unsigned five-star prospect for the Class of 2016. His decision to play for California comes as a bit of a surprise, and it means UGA will settle for three five-star prospects instead of getting four in its 2016 class.
The 6-foot, 185-pounder is rated as the nation’s No. 14 overall prospect for the Class of 2016. His commitment to California is just that — he will not be able to sign a binding letter-of-intent with the program. That said, the Robertson family has made every assurance that this is his final decision.
Robertson countdown on DawgNation:
Check out the “D-Rob 101” stories of note we feel might be of interest:
- Robertson’s coach: “People who complain about him stringing things along need to get a life”
- Will the nation’s No. 1 receiver commit to Kirby Smart again?
- Robertson moves up his decision date
- Robertson sets his decision date
- Kirby Smart reveals his sales pitch to Demetris Robertson
- 14 new elements to the Robertson decision after his official visit
- Sentell: What’s really going on with Demetris Robertson?
- What’s the new timeline for UGA with Demetris Robertson?
- A fan asks Smart: Are we going to get Demetris Robertson?
- Robertson signs his financial aid papers with UGA
- Robertson says Jacob Eason is recruiting him well
- Notre Dame trumps UGA, others with a recruiting gimmick for Demetris Robertson
- Expect race for nation’s No. 1 receiver to go well past National Signing Day
Jeff Sentell covers UGA football and UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges. Unless otherwise indicated, player rankings and ratings are from the 247Sports Composite.