The Georgia Bulldogs have landed their second commitment of the 2021 cycle, as 4-star defensive back David Daniel announced his commitment to the Bulldogs on Friday morning.
Daniel is a 4-star defensive back from Woodstock High School. The safety prospect is rated as the No. 41 overall prospect, according to the 2021 247Sports Composite rankings. He is the No. 5 ranked player in the state for the class and the No. 2 ranked athlete in the 2021 rankings. He projects as a safety at the next level.
Daniel is listed at 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds.
🚨I originally planned 2 drop my🔝list but after 🙏🏽 I had 2 follow my ❤️ I want 2 thank all the coaches that took time in recruiting me. Some relationships that I built will never be forgotten. Please let me enjoy my decision no interviews at this time✌🏽#GoDawgs 🐶🔴⚫️ pic.twitter.com/y2jVaeU9mk
— David Daniel (@David_X_Dope) September 13, 2019
Georgia coach Kirby Smart seemed to confirm the commitment, as he put one of his customary Go Dawgs!! tweets, signifying a commitment.
“Thank you Coach Smart for providing me an opportunity to play football and earn a degree,” Daniel said in a note posted on Twitter. “So with all that being said I am excited to announce my commitment to THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA.
— Coach Kirby Smart (@KirbySmartUGA) September 13, 2019
Daniel is the second commitment in the 2021 recruiting class. He joins 3-star safety Brayln Oliver, who committed to the program in August.
Here’s a rundown of things to know about Daniel, as provided by DawgNation’s Jeff Sentell.
- He’s the first elite SEC recruit at Woodstock High since 2005. That was Georgia signee Tripp Chandler.
- Daniel brings his pads to every stop. His Woodstock coaches can already tell by the unique sound that it is him.
- The 2021 recruit had a pair of Pick-6 interceptions last fall, including one in his first varsity start.
- He would be the first college graduate in his family with all these offers. Thinking of majoring in sports medicine.
- Carries a grade-point average of 3.6
- Reps all over at camps and showcases but his preference is at safety.
- His first offers were from Duke and LSU. The reputation of defensive backs at LSU says one thing about his ability, but the mental acumen expected out of Duke players says another. That’s a good way to size up Daniel. This student-athlete can walk in both circles.
- DawgNation shared a few more snippets of his story earlier this year when all those big offers started to drop
The Bulldogs have the No. 29 ranked 2021 class, though it is only made up of two commitments at the moment. Georgia’s 2020 class, with 16 commitments, ranks as the No. 5 class in the country. Georgia only has one commitment from a defensive back in the 2020 class at the moment and that is 4-star cornerback Jalen Kimber.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- What we learned about Georgia football before Arkansas State week 3 game includes some praise for Netori Johnson
- Georgia football podcast: UGA fans should be on lookout for drama in Week 3
- The Jake Fromm fruit cookies? Those rounds of sugary heaven are no such thing
- Report: Former UGA running back Robert Arnaud passes away at 40
- Georgia football podcast: Even Randy Moss is raving about UGA WR George Pickens
- Homegrown: The twist and turns in the road which led Quay Walker to Georgia