UGA is set to host another crop of official visitors this weekend. There’s a definite theme to this week’s crop.
UGA is going big. Real big.
That was what coach Kirby Smart prioritized as a need when he took the Georgia job. That’s definitely the sort of player who will be in town for the next-to-last round of official visits for the signing class of 2016.
Here’s the roll call:
5-star defensive tackle Derrick Brown (Lanier High School/Sugar Hill, Ga.)
- He lines up at 6-foot-4 and 311 pounds
- Brown is the top-rated player in Georgia and the nation’s No. 9 overall prospect
- UGA is perceived to be in a good spot, but his public stance is that he is wide open among UGA, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State and Tennessee
4-star defensive tackle Tyler Clark (Americus-Sumter/ Americus, Ga.):
- The 6-foot-3, 290-pounder is rated as the nation’s 25 overall prospect at his position
- Clark has been committed to UGA since May
- He’s also one of the most underrated prospects on UGA’s commit list
4-star offensive lineman Patrick Hudson (Silsbee/ Silsbee, Tex.)
- The 6-foot-5, 325-pounder is rated as the nation’s No. 2 offensive guard and No. 50 overall prospect
- Hudson has been committed to Baylor since July of 2014
- He just finished a reported 3-day official visit to Texas earlier this week
- Also plans an Arkansas visit next week
3-star offensive lineman Solomon Kindley (Raines/ Jacksonville, Fla.
- The 6-foot-5, 330-pounder is rated as the nation’s No. 87 offensive tackle
- He picked up an offer from UGA this week
- Kindley also handles himself pretty well on the basketball court
- Auburn, Louisville, North Carolina and Purdue are his biggest offers
- Might be the best candidate to commit on his official visit
3-star defensive tackle David Marshall (Upson-Lee/ Thomaston, Ga.)
- The 6-foot-3, 272-pounder is rated as the nation’s No. 21 strong-side defensive end
- He’s also committed to Auburn
- He is down to UGA and Auburn, but his relationship with Kirby Smart makes him a definite flip candidate
- Marshall’s family is also joining him on his official visit
Unranked kicker Mitchell Wasson (Lassiter HS/Marietta, Ga. )
- Does not have an offer from UGA
- Good athlete as he can run a 4.7 in the 40-yard dash
- UGA, Auburn and Florida have all been in to see him of late (Shane Beamer for UGA last week, Dell McGee this week)
- Strong on kickoffs and has 50-to-55 yard range on field goals
- Those SEC schools have brought up a preferred walk-on spot, but could be a late offer on National Signing Day
Pity the poor caterer who has to serve this bunch a huge spread for another Saturday night dinner inside the President’s Box at Sanford Stadium this weekend.
Unless otherwise indicated, player rankings and ratings are from the 247Sports Composite.
Jeff Sentell covers UGA football and UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges.