Julian Fleming told DawgNation last month he really liked Georgia. He placed the Bulldogs right up there with some of his best visits.
Clemson and Penn State are seen as major contenders for this decision but the Bulldogs were able to sustain another Fleming cutdown on Saturday.
The 5-star prospect out of Pennsylvania rates the nation’s No. 1 receiver (per the 247Sports composite ratings) for the class of 2020.
Fleming tweeted out his thoughts Saturday night on a final six that he has in mind at this time.
Thank you✌🏽 pic.twitter.com/EhUsBaXuzv
— 🃏0J4🃏 (@julian_040) February 17, 2019
Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon rounded out that final group for Fleming.
Why Georgia? Well, it turns out the number of times that Fleming kept using the term “great” to describe his visit to Athens earlier this year was not just smoke.
Fleming spoke to reporters last month at the Under Armour “Future 50” media day event.
He was asked about a lot of schools that day, including Georgia. In a response to a question about the Bulldogs, he proceeded to use the term “great” six times during his 20-second response.
“Georgia was probably one of my best visits so far,” Fleming said. “Honestly. My whole family loved Georgia. Coach [Cortez] Hankton is a really cool real down-to-earth guy. He seemed like a great coach. He had NFL experience. Georgia is a great place. They are in the SEC.”
“They pushed Alabama to their limits,” Fleming. “It is a great team. Great program. Great coaching staff. Great history.”
The 5-star receiver does plan to take some spring official visits, though.
“I am going to start some in the spring and take some during the season,” Fleming said. “Because I do feel it is too much to pack in all at once.”
— 🃏0J4🃏 (@julian_040) April 14, 2018
What stands out about Julian Fleming
The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder is a physical receiver who displayed elite production at the high school level in 2018.
He was named the 2018 Gatorade Player of the Year for Pennsylvania coming off a tear that has seen his team win two straight state championships in the midst of an active 32-game win streak.
The junior snatched up 80 balls for 1,526 yards and 22 touchdowns. That equates to a strong 19.8 yards per catch as a marked man. It also meant he found the end zone on one out of every 3.6 catches.
The Southern Columbia Area (Catawissa, Pa.) standout also had four interceptions on defense and returned three of those for scores. The notion that he made a big impact on both sides of the ball for a state championship team is a testament to his overall ability at the next level.
The “football player” label clearly fits the scouting profile here.
Penn State currently has 82 percent of the predictions on the 247Sports “Crystal Ball” feature. Ohio State has the other 18 percent. But look out for Clemson here, too.
If the Bulldogs can get one of those spring official visits, then the chances for the program with Fleming would only improve from there.