PHOTOS: Check out the Georgia football recruits on Day 2 of Under Armour All-American Bowl practices
ORLANDO, Fla. — It was a busy morning for the second day of the Under Armour All-American Game practices at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
Georgia signee Arian Smith won the fastest man competition at the event. It just took him a dead-heat photo finish in the first finals heat and a rematch to do so. When he did, he cocked a side-eye and looked over at his opponent to let him know that he wasn’t going to reach the line first.
There was a lot going on. Check out a few rapid-fire thoughts from the second day of the event and a collection of images from Georgia’s top signees, commits and elite targets that are set to announce at 6 p.m. on Jan. 2 on ESPN2.
Quick-hit thoughts from Day 2 at Under Armour 2020 All-American Bowl practices:
- Smith is getting a lot of instruction from the NFL and All-American HS coaches. It might be logical to expect him to have a learning curve at WR early on.
- Darnell Washington lumbers around. Huge target. Amazing upside. But a real playful kid.
- Broderick Jones and Washington tried to run a 40 against one another after today’s practice. Or at least Jones was challenging him to do so.
- Sedrick Van Pran-Granger is a rep-winning robot. “Follow Sed” will be a great play call in Athens for the next 3-4 years. His “can’t miss” tag is as solid as anyone this week.
- Don’t worry about the weight there with Jones. Not worried at all. He’ll put that on in a college S&C and nutrition program. He’s down to 285 in the midst of basketball season after playing his senior year right at 300.
- Mekhail Sherman is a smart and instinctive player. Always trying to soak up coaching. It does look like his knee brace is still affecting him this week, though. He’s been working at ILB mostly this week.
- Evans and Washington seem very chummy with the other commits this week.
- Van Pran-Granger wants to keep Jones in the class at Georgia. He wants to line up alongside him on a championship line in college.
- Van Pran-Granger, who is a very fit OL, said watching Jones work on the field this week makes him feel like he needs to cut some weight.
- 4-star CB Dontae Manning looked very good today. Somebody will be getting a good one there betwixt Georgia and Oregon.
- Smith initially lost the first final heat of the “Fastest Man” competition today. That’s because he drifted about 2-3 yards out of his lane and actually ran more than a 40. It was a close photo finish and he won the rematch.
- Zach Evans was the first player out on the practice fields today, but he needs to carry that businesslike approach across the whole practice.
- Smith got to get behind the wheel of a Polaris “Slingshot” ride after winning the Fastest Man event. When he did, it wasn’t long before Washington jumped in there with him. Washington is just a big silly kid.
- The teams are divided and will split the Georgia rooting interest. Team Savage basically has the Georgia defensive signees plus one elite WR: DT Warren Brinson, DT Jalen Carter, WR Marcus Rosemy and Mekhail Sherman. Team Pressure has the offensive signees and the elite targets and the two commits who did not sign: RB Zach Evans (target); OT Broderick Jones (commit); OT Chad Lindberg; CB Dontae Manning (target); WR Arian Smith; OC Sedrick Van Pran-Granger (commit); TE Darnell Washington (target).
- Smith has an edge to him, too. Was very animated during his race heats today.
PHOTOS: Check out the Georgia football recruits at Under Armour
DawgNation at the Under Armour All-American Game
- Elite RB signee Kendall Milton chooses to report earlier than expected to UGA
- WATCH: Georgia signee Arian Smith wins “Fastest Man” challenge at Under Armour
- Even before hiring Matt Luke, Chad Lindberg knew he was ‘the guy’ for Georgia football
- Sedrick Van Pran-Granger: All-American OL still feels ‘comfortable’ as a Georgia commit
- Incoming freshman Jalen Carter feels he can play a Tyler Clark-type role as a freshman
- What we learned about Georgia football recruits, targets at Under Armour All-American game media day
- Dontae Manning contrasts Georgia football and Oregon ahead of announcement
- Darnell Washington: The family side of his early signing period decision
- All-American week snapshot: Which UGA signees and targets play where
- Jordan Burch: Why Georgia didn’t even crack his final 3
- 5-star RB Zach Evans shares ‘strongest connection’ and scope of decision prior to Jan. 2 announcement
- Even Mekhail Sherman was surprised when Kirby Smart, Georgia football flipped Jermaine Burton
- Broderick Jones: The 5-star OT details why he is still committed to Georgia